England : Kent Spring Ride -The Harbours of Kent - Saturday 6th May 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

Sorry, can't make this.
Boo!

Diggs

Veteran
Sorry folks What are the best options for parking at either end of the ride, at work at moment but still trying to sort logistics as I have to get away for an event in the evening

U

User10571

There's a Pay and Display car park just to the east of the harbour in Whitstable. On-street parking is a bit limited on account of narrow streets and double yellows.
Ramsgate I'm less familiar with, but it similarly has narrow streets with lots of double yellows.

For free parking I would head to Marine Parade at Whitstable, only 5 mins away on a bike. For Ramsgate, Royal Esplanade. It is not exactly forecast to be beach weather so there should be plenty of space. I am parking in Minnis Bay about 9.30 and using the tailwind for an easy spin to Whitstable (about an hour) which will leave an easy 8 mile ride back to the van after Ramsgate.

OP
OP
S

sotkayak

Veteran
Diggs ,here is a map showing the Tankerton slopes(where the flag mast and cannon are.)Marine Parades Stephen Piper referred to is the road running along the top next to the grassed area.Invariably found parking here - Up Tower Parade bear left past the Whitstable ''castle'' and Tower hill becomes Marine Parade
whitstable-map-cloudy.jpg

OP
OP
S

sotkayak

Veteran
Possibles now are :

User10571 + 1 ( or maybe not .. )
Fab Foodie
Stephen Piper

Hill Wimp8

HertzvanRental
Nigel 182
jojo2512

Hopless500

greekonabike
GM
Diggs

all the gear no idea

LiloLee
The Doctor

. We will leave from Whitstable Harbour ,next to the Lifeboat station at 11 am Saturday 6th May .,winding our way along the seawall /promenade / cycle paths to Ramsgate Harbour .. With a possible mid ride cake/tea stop at the Westgate Cafe on the sea wall ,and so on to Ramsgate ....
See you all at Whitstable at 11 am ,folks.

Pedal when you can ,Push when you can't

OP
OP
S

sotkayak

Veteran
Trains seem to be running normally according to the National Rail website . And carrying bicycles .
Rail Bail (User10571s tidy phrase) on hand the lenghth of the route at Chestfield ,Herne Bay ,Birchington ,West Gate ,Margate and Broadstairs.

OP
OP
S

sotkayak

Veteran
Possibles now are :

User10571 + 1 ( or maybe not .. )
Fab Foodie
Stephen Piper
OMG
Hill Wimp

HertzvanRental
Nigel 182
jojo2512

Hopless500

greekonabike
GM
Diggs

all the gear no idea

LiloLee
The Doctor

. We will leave from Whitstable Harbour ,next to the Lifeboat station at 11 am Saturday 6th May .,winding our way along the seawall /promenade / cycle paths to Ramsgate Harbour .. With a possible mid ride cake/tea stop at the Westgate Cafe on the sea wall ,and so on to Ramsgate ....
See you all at Whitstable at 11 am ,folks. (Distance is about 25 miles ,Whitstable to Ramsgate)

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 4789793, member: 21629"]I beg your pardon, I forgot about my MTB which is heavy enough to keep me on the ground (road bike is too light for such wind). So tyres pumped, saddle changed to better one and see you tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
Excellent news.

U

User10571

Trains seem to be running normally according to the National Rail website . And carrying bicycles .
Rail Bail (User10571s tidy phrase) on hand the lenghth of the route at Chestfield ,Herne Bay ,Birchington ,West Gate ,Margate and Broadstairs.
How could you possibly forget the wonderfully named Dumpton Park?
It's Baltic out there this evening. I guess I should get my act together and sort out a bike for myself tomorrow - I was going to bring the fixer with its shiny new wheels - but the forecast headwind tells me that twiddly gears are probably the better option.

Top Bottom