England : Kent Spring Ride -The Harbours of Kent - Saturday 6th May 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

Unlikely.
Rikki is overdue a visit from me.

ETA
I should add that I've been trying to shake off a snotty nose for the best part of two weeks - to the point where it is getting boring.
I think today's ride may've helped protract it, rather than progress is to its natural conclusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
OMG,The Dr and GM just departed Ramsgate London bound. I am just about to get mine whilst Hops and F2F cycle back to Deal.

A bracing day !!!

Diggs

Veteran
Thanks everyone, as ever a pleasure.
Apologies for diving off but at least I did make it back in time for tonight.
More pics when I get the chance to look but for now
060517 forum c.jpg

060517 forum d.jpg

060517 forum e stephen.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've just parked up. Marine Parade. I'll head in in a bit. Blimey it's fresh. I might have to put my really lairy leg warmers on....Sorry in advance
Uh!!!!

IMG_7744.JPG

Wowser....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bracing. That's the word. It has an edge if ordeal to it, but also a sense of joy.

Well that was fun. No really. Yes it was a bit blowy, a tad nippy but hell, we're cyclists and we can take it.

Once having located a venue for brekkie and partaken of a feast it was nice to meet the assembled crew, and then set-off into what seemed like a bit of a dismal day. But warm company made it all seem rather pleasant, bracing certainly, but not (for me at least) unpleasant.

There was plenty to see, windsurfers and kitesurfers, sail boats, occasional sunshine, the lifeboat cutting through the chop like a scythe. Atmospheric. Bracing.

Devon clotted cream ice-cream and a coffee sufficed at the cafe and fuelled me nicely through round the corner at Margate and with an increasing tailwind to Ramsgate for bonhomie and beer.

Clearly the combination of alcohol and sea air had affected the judgement of @hopless500 who decided she would join me in completing the ride to Deal. Blessed with the tailwind we clipped along comfortably at 25kph making it back before @Hill Wimp returning by train had barely made it to the shower.
45 miles - well done Hop!!!!

It felt good. The company, the weather, the laughs, the wind. Bracing.

I saw a lot of smiles.

Would we have enjoyed the day more with the wind at our backs? I doubt it.

Bracing, that's what it was. Bracing.

U

User10571

[QUOTE 4791193, member: 21629"]The ride was absolutely crazy. :thumbsup: :hyper:

Weather forecast said it will be 20 mph wind gusts. It lied. When it's windy you can feel the wind, for us it wasn't riding in the wind, it was like trying to get through concrete wall.
Correct! Headwind almost all way.
And we made it! Well, majority of us. :bravo:

User10571 cycled about 2 minutes with us and then went home (imho clever choice). The rest of us decided that we are Fantastic Ten (or Fifteen or whatever) and we bravely headed into that wall of wind. Lots of sights of jealousy to cyclists going the other way and enjoying tailwind. Ok, sights of jealousy from me - MTB with 26' wheels and fat tyres wasn't the best choice coz I struggled to keep up with the others. Of course I blame the bike, not myself !
And almost the very start we somehow managed to lose @sotkayak. Oops ... :wacko:
First long stop somewhere near Margate. Coffee (all), tea (all), cakes (somebody), fish and chips (me), cider (me) etc etc.
And suddenly we see @sotkayak approaching ! Woohoo ! Ride leader (ok, initiator ...) is here.

Right, bellies full (well, mine), let's go further. My legs suddenly started to speak some specific French, Russian, English etc words trying to tell me that they aren't going anywhere. I ignored them and went on. Oi oi oi, this part of ride was proper "going into the wall". I proudly walked up to few hills instead of cycling.

Finally tailwind ! Finally Ramsgate ! Finally pub ! And beer, and cider, and chats, and more beer and chats. :cheers:

One of those rides to remember. Just because of that bloody wind. ^_^

https://goo.gl/photos/a8Wx52gwH6GoGgxb9[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom