Springs here, time to dump the helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

format

Über Member
It's spring? Someone tell the hail we had in Glasgow yesterday... and the numb hands I had after getting home last night.

ChrisKH

Guru
For those of you wearing helmets against bad drivers, you did check the disclaimer when you bought your helmets, right? Along the lines of "This helmet will not protect against collisions with motor vehicles". 12mph fall against a flat surface is about all you can hope for...

Come on, someone bring out that "on the road, by the road, surgery" pic of Aperitif to spice things up a bit. ;)

My lid's staying on as I can't face a messy divorce, living in a bedsit, post divorce car crash relationships, unmemorable one night stands, a drink and occasional drug problem and the inevitable depression. :eek:

monkeypony

My lid's staying on as I can't face a messy divorce, living in a bedsit, post divorce car crash relationships, unmemorable one night stands, a drink and occasional drug problem and the inevitable depression. :eek:

To be fair, at least half of that sounds quite appealing :biggrin:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm considering ditching the helmet. For reasons that deny logic, I wear a helmet for my 10 mile commute but for 100+ mile rides in the middle of the night I just wear a cycling cap.

If I did ditch the helmet, I would lose the camera mount though..

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Cycling cap as usual this morning - you'd have to be crazy to cycle bareheaded!

boxing.gif

Tynan

Veteran
All of my accidents (bar two with peds) took place in broad daylight

In only one, including two somersault over bonnet jobs, did th ehelmet actually touch anything (as far as I know) though

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've worn a helmet since about 1982 when the first hard-shell types became available at the time I was a student cycle-commuting in London. I've pretty-much stopped wearing one for nearly a year now unless it's very slippy or for club training nights when they're required. I've found that I've enjoyed cycling so much more without one.

asterix

Comrade Member
Many cyclists round here wear no helmet and the only cyclists I see are the sort who wear full on cycling clothing. Car traffic is very sparse.

Paco de Bango

I didn't realize that roads, cars and trucks get softer in the spring and summer :rolleyes:

Re-reading the OP to be fair I don't think there's any implication that the material which roads and vehicles are made up of become malleable during the summer months. (although if it got really hot the asphalt might soften up a bit).

The point that was made was that due to less icy conditions and longer daylight hours the risk of hitting these things becomes low enough for the OP to be happy to ditch the helmet.

Just thought I'd clarify as you sound a bit confused :thumbsup:

corshamjim

I took off the Carradice helmet cover yesterday, but that was more because it had started looking grubby than any other reason. Much as I know the risks of my rural commute are probably tiny, I'm so used to wearing a helmet now I feel rather undressed without one. Same goes for gloves/mitts .

Top Bottom