Springs here, time to dump the helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davehann

i work in OT and have had to deal with toomany head injuries to advocate that anyone rides sans helment.

keep that helment on and keep your higher brain function guys!

rualexander

Legendary Member
I wear mine all year round, always have done. Each to their own.
But, I'm going to have to put my studded tyres back on for tomorrow's ride unless there's a rapid thaw overnight, three inches of snow here today.

Come on, someone bring out that "on the road, by the road, surgery" pic of Aperitif to spice things up a bit. ;)

My lid's staying on as I can't face a messy divorce, living in a bedsit, post divorce car crash relationships, unmemorable one night stands, a drink and occasional drug problem and the inevitable depression. :eek:

2i0enbb.jpg

Here you are Chris! Five or six hours after my helmet saved me from further scabs!

2hn1dtf.jpg

9jjeyd.jpg

24 hours later, I found a suitable backdrop at the Royal Free to 'soften' my hard good looks.

mtun80.jpg

I crashed. The helmet was helpful in this instance, to avoid further abrasion at least, perhaps more. You choose what to do - simple. I was happy to pay £50 for the Atmos replacement and I still wear it. I know it spoils my posy cycling cap look, but hey! I can still wear one underneath, and get the best of both worlds. It is the second time I have 'written off' a helmet - by direct full-on road impact (the first was outside Ashford Hospital luckily enough! :smile: ) Both times - no damage.
I'll resist posting a 'fully restored' photo as I don't want everyone to be envious... :rolleyes:
:tongue:

My lid's staying on as I can't face a messy divorce, living in a bedsit, post divorce car crash relationships, unmemorable one night stands, a drink and occasional drug problem and the inevitable depression.

And Chris - I had my lid on and it still happened to me! :smile:

Still waiting for the one nighters and the drugs... so it's not all bad, should you 'take the plunge' and do a 4F :rofl:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
i work in OT and have had to deal with toomany head injuries to advocate that anyone rides sans helment.

Unfortunately cycle helmets are not effective at preventing serious brain injuries. Cuts and scrapes, certainly, but nothing more.

I would love to see the evidence you base this statement on.

Have you ever broken down the cause of the head injuries you deal with?

The sad fact is that ALL the Cohort studies of head injury admissions show cyclists to be a small minority.

Far more of the patients you treat will be pedestrians, motorists or alcohol induced

Thornhill et al (2000) classically quote:

The most common causes of injury were falls (43%) or assaults (34%); alcohol was often involved (61%), and a quarter reported treatment for a previous head injury.

I assume given the large number of alcohol related incidences you will be advocating beer helmets and could not understand anyone undertaking this dangerous activity sans helmet??

Health Care Professionals should be using evidence based practice, not passing off misleading statements and using their professional status to justify such unsubstantiated rubbish

May I point out that condoms do prevent head injuries........ explaining an STD is certainly likely to induce a serious head injury!

Helmet all the way,

a mate on a club run, they had an accident, and the guy fell off in front, and the guy behind him ran straight over his head, only his helmet saved him from having a very big tread mark and the rest !

Woz!

Given the facial injuries in that picture, why aren't the pro-helmeters advocating full faced helmets like motorcyclists use?
In fact, as a biker too, I can say that the 'helmets' worm by us cyclists are pathetic excuses for head protection and if it was really a risky persuit we would be following the same protective measures as the motorcyclists (including abrasion protection for the rest of our bodies).

I wouldn't go out on my Vespa without a helmet, but I'm quite happy on my pushbike, because cycing isn't dangerous. The only reason I wear a helmet on my cycle commute is because of the above mentioned 'contributary negligence' cases, which I don't agree with but have to acknowledge.

Woz : Cyclist for 35 years, Biker for 25.

Given the facial injuries in that picture, why aren't the pro-helmeters advocating full faced helmets like motorcyclists use?
In fact, as a biker too, I can say that the 'helmets' worm by us cyclists are pathetic excuses for head protection and if it was really a risky persuit we would be following the same protective measures as the motorcyclists (including abrasion protection for the rest of our bodies).

I wouldn't go out on my Vespa without a helmet, but I'm quite happy on my pushbike, because cycing isn't dangerous. The only reason I wear a helmet on my cycle commute is because of the above mentioned 'contributary negligence' cases, which I don't agree with but have to acknowledge.

Woz : Cyclist for 35 years, Biker for 25.

There is medical advice and evidence to suggest exactly this!

(Bicycle Helmets 1 - Does
the dental profession have a role in promoting their use? Chapman HR,
Curran ALM. British Dental Journal 2004;196(9):555-560.)

As dentists, we are particularly interested in the face. With current helmets there is a weaker, though noticeable, reduction in the risk of middle third facial injuries. We also have frequent contact with the childhood population. We should therefore be lobbying for improvements in design as well as increased use.

There is scope for further research into modification of helmet design to improve facial and dental protection.

As Headway are promoting this paper and its conclusions, it is safe to assume that full face helmets are going to come before long.

Facial injuries can be fatal if the airway is compromised and also the disfigurement from minor injuries is a life changing trama for children and especially adolescents.

Surely there can be no argument against full face?

afl2

Über Member
My work ride takes 4 mins by the back road and no helmet. However other times when riding helmet is a must.I may end up looking a plonker but with family to consider and other road users ability to think about the use of a helmet is a no brianer.

Top Bottom