Squeaky disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do these semi-metallic need time to bed in? They started out OK but have lost bite and gained squeal now. I just came down a local bridleway and not having been on the bike much and it being covered in leaves, my chicken levels are low, so grabbed a handful of rear brake and nothing happened. I grabbed harder and it squealed, which is what I was about to do when I remembered i had a front too!

Not having much luck on the squeal front, I may be about to change pads again. Meanwhile the front resin is fine.

I just put them in and go. I don;t seem to have the problems that you are Crackle.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I just put them in and go. I don;t seem to have the problems that you are Crackle.
I'm not having much luck. I may strip it all back down and see whether I've missed some contamination. I did 10 miles in Wales offroad and they were fine but there was a lot of sheep shoot, maybe they don't like sheep shoot.

Jody

Stubborn git
Do these semi-metallic need time to bed in?

I set off with a new set in and the first time I had to grab some brake was down a 14% hill. First pull they were a little vague but the second pull was sharp. Third pull would have been an express ticket to A&E.

I had noisy brakes. Going for the new pads from Disco as recommended by Ian helped. However what got rid of the noise completely was loosening off the caliper bolts a bit and then putting on the brakes to properly centre the caliper and then tightening everything up again.

Silence.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I had noisy brakes. Going for the new pads from Disco as recommended by Ian helped. However what got rid of the noise completely was loosening off the caliper bolts a bit and then putting on the brakes to properly centre the caliper and then tightening everything up again.

Silence.
Yes, I had thought of doing that, then forgot again, so good reminder, I'll try it.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

feck me, you hadn't even checked/sorted alignment.....we're wasted on you
Oy! I had, with the old pads, not the new ones. And the old ones were new, I just contaminated them through being a clumsy klutz. I'm sure you're familiar with that :whistle:

sheffgirl

Or, do as I do and live with the squealing, it lets the guys around you know you are braking.
Went for a wet night ride on sunday, both disc brakes squealing like crazy on the downhills (it picks up a LOT of speed rolling) think I scared all the local wildlife :smile:
I don't mind the noise, its the whole bike vibrating under me that's a little strange :wacko:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Remember this thread. Well I still haven't completely sorted things. I've just taken out the semi-metallic and fitted resin again. main reason is that the braking performance was just getting worse and as I'm about to head to Llandegla this week, I wanted a working back brake. Even fitting the resin hasn't improved things much but it probably needs to bed in. I really wish I hadn't contaminated the pads originally. My suspicions are turning to the rotor which I've cleaned and given a light sand anyhow. It has also occured to me that perhaps one of the pistons is stuck, quite why it would I don't know but it's about the only thing I haven't now checked.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I would like to draw a line under this thread now :smile: At last. After a quick trip to Llandegla, the resins have bedded in and I have a brake that works and doesn't squeak. Not really sure what went wrong with the semi-metallic, maybe my cheap rotors don't like them.

The only thing is, I over bled the rear brake so there's not as much feel as I like. Not sure if that's adjustable, will check tomorrow when I do a re-lube of the chain.

Top Bottom