Squeaky disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do these semi-metallic need time to bed in? They started out OK but have lost bite and gained squeal now. I just came down a local bridleway and not having been on the bike much and it being covered in leaves, my chicken levels are low, so grabbed a handful of rear brake and nothing happened. I grabbed harder and it squealed, which is what I was about to do when I remembered i had a front too!

Not having much luck on the squeal front, I may be about to change pads again. Meanwhile the front resin is fine.

I just put them in and go. I don;t seem to have the problems that you are Crackle.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I just put them in and go. I don;t seem to have the problems that you are Crackle.
I'm not having much luck. I may strip it all back down and see whether I've missed some contamination. I did 10 miles in Wales offroad and they were fine but there was a lot of sheep shoot, maybe they don't like sheep shoot.

Jody

Stubborn git
Do these semi-metallic need time to bed in?

I set off with a new set in and the first time I had to grab some brake was down a 14% hill. First pull they were a little vague but the second pull was sharp. Third pull would have been an express ticket to A&E.

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I had noisy brakes. Going for the new pads from Disco as recommended by Ian helped. However what got rid of the noise completely was loosening off the caliper bolts a bit and then putting on the brakes to properly centre the caliper and then tightening everything up again.

Silence.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I had noisy brakes. Going for the new pads from Disco as recommended by Ian helped. However what got rid of the noise completely was loosening off the caliper bolts a bit and then putting on the brakes to properly centre the caliper and then tightening everything up again.

Silence.
Yes, I had thought of doing that, then forgot again, so good reminder, I'll try it.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

feck me, you hadn't even checked/sorted alignment.....we're wasted on you
Oy! I had, with the old pads, not the new ones. And the old ones were new, I just contaminated them through being a clumsy klutz. I'm sure you're familiar with that :whistle:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Oy! I had, with the old pads, not the new ones. And the old ones were new, I just contaminated them through being a clumsy klutz. I'm sure you're familiar with that :whistle:

I have no idea what you could be referring to:whistle:

sheffgirl

Or, do as I do and live with the squealing, it lets the guys around you know you are braking.
Went for a wet night ride on sunday, both disc brakes squealing like crazy on the downhills (it picks up a LOT of speed rolling) think I scared all the local wildlife :smile:
I don't mind the noise, its the whole bike vibrating under me that's a little strange :wacko:

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
The bike shouldn't vibrate when braking. Try the suggestion mentioned earlier of undoing the bolts holding the caliper onto the mounting plate just enough so the caliper can move, then pull the brake on and hold it on, then re-tighten the bolts.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Remember this thread. Well I still haven't completely sorted things. I've just taken out the semi-metallic and fitted resin again. main reason is that the braking performance was just getting worse and as I'm about to head to Llandegla this week, I wanted a working back brake. Even fitting the resin hasn't improved things much but it probably needs to bed in. I really wish I hadn't contaminated the pads originally. My suspicions are turning to the rotor which I've cleaned and given a light sand anyhow. It has also occured to me that perhaps one of the pistons is stuck, quite why it would I don't know but it's about the only thing I haven't now checked.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I would like to draw a line under this thread now :smile: At last. After a quick trip to Llandegla, the resins have bedded in and I have a brake that works and doesn't squeak. Not really sure what went wrong with the semi-metallic, maybe my cheap rotors don't like them.

The only thing is, I over bled the rear brake so there's not as much feel as I like. Not sure if that's adjustable, will check tomorrow when I do a re-lube of the chain.

Top Bottom