Squeaky disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

Why have you gone for sintered rather then semi-metallic?
My mistake: semi-metallic not sintered.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well booger me - washed em on the hot setting in the dishwasher (Mrs not impressed :tongue:) and VERY carefully applied grease to the back of the pads and hey presto - a full day around Degla yesterday with barely a squeak! Thanks lads!!

Wet weather riding will be the real test...

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The problem most of the time is not bedding the discs in correctly. They end up with lines similar to whats on vynel records, these resonate particularly when wet.

Cure: pads and discs off the bike, sand with emery cloth wrapped around a block of wood. Degrease after, refit and then find a hill and do lots of HARD braking - hey presto no more squealing like a pig on it's way to be lunch.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Try the race pads (white) from Uberbike. A few mates got them and they could stop a bus, quietly

subaqua

What’s the point
Dude, £6 for a new set and £100dreds if you burn down garage/house trying to save the knackered ones....you do the math
yeah but he gets to play with FIRE , whats not to like .

sensible head on now. - bin the pads , IPA the discs and get new ones from ians supplier

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
yeah but he gets to play with FIRE , whats not to like .

sensible head on now. - bin the pads , IPA the discs and get new ones from ians supplier

You have no idea how hard it was to try and give sensible advice on this thread.......this is Crax, the thought of him having some severe DIY mishap was almost too delicious

Globalti

Legendary Member
Dishwashing cleans brake pads very effectively as there's nothing hotter or more caustic.

Sintered pads are semi-metallic, it's the same thing. The pad material has metal particles incorporated to reduce the wear. The consequence is that over time your discs will wear faster but you'll have sold the bike years ago by the time they need replacing. Sintered pads are noisier than plain pads because the metal particles set up a squeak but softer, plain pads will grab the disc better.

Motozulu

Über Member
Yes they have started squealing a bit again now the wet is here - I suspect the poster was right who put it down to not being bedded in well enough. I'll do as suggested and try again.

Top Bottom