Squealing front wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

I'm struggling to work out why my front wheel makes a hideous squealing noise. It only does this when freewheels and is stopped immediately either when I pedal or lightly apply the brakes.

This has come about after I installed new wheels which had been gifted to me. They were setup for thru axle so had to have qr adapters fitted along with a new set of qr skewers. The new wheels also required center lock disc rotors rather than the 6 bolt versions previous wheels.

Fwiw I struggle to replicate the noise when the bike is on the repair stand. The rotors seem to be going through the pads fairly cleanly, and I've also tried different levels of tightness on the qr skewer.

My impression when cycling is that there is a small amount of wobble in the front wheel, buy I'm not entirely sure I'm seeing this accurately.

Any ideas on potential causes?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you re-centred the caliper ?

Reactions: Dwn

Sharky

Guru
Odd that the noise is coming from the front, but when you start pedaling it stops. Sometimes noises seem to be coming from one area, but actually coming from elsewhere.
Can you put the old front wheel back on to confirm that it is coming from the front.

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Odd that the noise is coming from the front, but when you start pedaling it stops. Sometimes noises seem to be coming from one area, but actually coming from elsewhere.
Can you put the old front wheel back on to confirm that it is coming from the front.
Had it on repair stand again and noise

is definitely coming from the front wheel. It seems to be the disc rotor but outside chance that it's coming from axle. I wondered if the pedalling action was somehow stabilising the front wheel and making rotor run through calipers more smoothly - although that may not be something that happens!

Top Bottom