Squirrels vs. cats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

papercorn2000

Leading on from the increasingly pointless boxers vs. MMA thread, who would win in a straight ruck, a squirrel or a cat?

Mind we are talking about same weight category here, no massive cats or giant squirrels. A straight one on one square-go. Could be ground or tree based - just to make it more interesting...

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I think a cat would win every time, unless the squirrel was clever and shined up the nearest tree .

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Aha, but the cat could surely follow said squirrel, no? The squirrel would go for thecat's nuts (ifit was a tom) and the cat could go for..er... the squirrel's fur balls, or something like that.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tree based, the squirrel. It can get to much tinier twigs and hang on. It wouldn't so much be winning a fight though, as who could escape to live another day. In any free situation, the squirrel will leg it.

Locked in a box together, the cat would win eventually (better equipped to kill), but I reckon the squirrel would get a few nasty nips in.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Red, Grey or Black squirrel ? If we are talking about black then I think the feisty tree vermin is in with a shout.

Saddle bum

Über Member
A wise cat does not tangle with a squirrel. Squirrel bites have been known to kill cats, they are nasty little buggers. The reason cats come unstuck against then is that the normal cat ambush technique is not easy against a squirrel. Our cat does not seem to want to borrow my air rifle which is quite effective against "tree rats".

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've seen this happen. Our cat, (small, dim, but pugnacious) cornered a squirrel. And had his nose bitten.

Arch

Married to Night Train
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Red, Grey or Black squirrel ? If we are talking about black then I think the feisty tree vermin is in with a shout.

I think the black is just a melanistic variant of the grey. Not sure there's a feisty-ness advantage.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Arch said:
I think the black is just a melanistic variant of the grey. Not sure there's a feisty-ness advantage.

I am not so sure

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Britains-grey-population-taste-medicine.html

allen-uk

A fine cat, now sadly no longer with us, used to eat squirrels as part of his calorie-controlled diet. Legs were his favourite, although he was also partial to neck.

He then brought the rest of the squirrel in through the not-quite-big-enough catflap, for us.

A couple of years ago, he did for more than a dozen in a fortnight.

No malice intended. Just liked a bite.

A.

asterix

Comrade Member
Arch said:

We have many red squirrels in the Limousin and some rare black versions. There are no grey squirrels at all.

When young, our ginger cat brought a dead grey one into the York house presumably as a present. He weighs a stone, though and also caught rats.

allen-uk

No, it's a source of regret that we had him emasculated when very young. Probably more a source of regret for him than us, but no, no offspring.

His brother, sixteen years old and never caught so much as a cold, is a different matter, but again has no sons!

A.

OP
OP
papercorn2000

papercorn2000

Hmmm. Having caught a squirrel in a trap recently, I wouldn't have wanted to handle the little bugger without heavy rigger gloves on. In contrast, a similar sized cat presents me with no such fears...

Top Bottom