Squirrels vs. cats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

squirrel would kill the cat. Hopefully.

Arch

Married to Night Train
asterix said:
We have many red squirrels in the Limousin and some rare black versions. There are no grey squirrels at all.

I think you can also get melanistic reds. It's like the opposite of albino. Albinos tend to be at an evolutionary disadvantage though, unless it's snowing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:

Ok, they seem to have an advantage over the 'normal' greys. But I'm not sure it would tip the balance re: the outcome against a cat...

OT a bit...
"He added: "The irony of it is the blacks were first spotted in a similar area to where the greys were introduced to Britain.""

That's not irony. That's natural, surely. Greys will have been in that area the longest, so there has been more chance for the mutation to occur....

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Arch said:
Ok, they seem to have an advantage over the 'normal' greys. But I'm not sure it would tip the balance re: the outcome against a cat...

Depends if they were all tooled up and ready for a fight with sharpened acorn's and nut knuckle dusters etc B)

Mr Pig

Bottom line, much as I hate to admit it, cats are trained killers. They've got the equipment and the desire. Squirrels eat nuts. They might bite in self defense but if a cat gets a hold of squirrel I fear it would be game over for Tufty.

highpeak will

Our cat once turned up on the doorstep with a freshly killed grey squirrel, along with mice,frogs birds etc. Not all at the same time though!

On the other hand he came back a few weeks ago with a nasty bite on his head which went septic and took at least a fortnight to heal. Possibly from a squirrel?

Top Bottom