SRAM Apex 50/34 Chain Ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dzzi

Hi

I've worn out the big ring on my Spez Secteur Elite 2011 model, i've had a quick google but am having a bit of an issue finding somewhere where i can just by the outer ring in the UK...

http://www.jensonusa.com/SRAM-ForceRivalApex-10-Speed-Chainring is what i need but i don't really want to ship it from the states.

If anyone could point me at a UK supplier that would be great.

Also i suspect i really need to replace the chain and i know i "should" replace the rear cassette as well but the cassette really looks ok and its not done that many miles.

Could i get away with just the ring and chain or will i just mess the new chain up ?

Thanks

Dave

S-Express

Any 110bcd chainring will fit - it doesn't have to be a SRAM ring.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Any 110bcd chainring will fit - it doesn't have to be a SRAM ring.
Well, that's what I thought. But the chap in my LBS told me that there was special chamfering (or something like that) on the SRAM ring , which necessitated a specific SRAM ring.

I don't know if that's true, just reporting what I was told.

In the end I replaced the whole chainset, for reasons too boring to go into here.

OP
OP
D

Dzzi

Ok so thanks All :-) I did wonder if it had to be SRAM... its just teeth etc and to be honest my left shifter is still a big dodgy so any smoothness of shift benefit provided by a real SRAM product might well be negated.. little bit suprised how much the outringer costs...

@S-Express any view on the real need to change the rear cassette.. i assume i will need to change the chain?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
SJS cycles are good for spares. Phone them up. Or just see if your LBS can source. Try the old fashioned shop route

This is the inner I think
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainrings/sram-road-110mm-bcd-5-arm-inner-chainring-3mm-black-34t/

And outer various

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=SRAM arm outer
+1 to sjs .
I use the stronglight inner chainring in combination with an fsa outer when i changed my combo to a 50/36

OP
OP
D

Dzzi

+1 to sjs .
I use the stronglight inner chainring in combination with an fsa outer when i changed my combo to a 50/36
ive seen that brand while looking around...so good to know someone else has had experience of it...seems tricky finding a silver SRAM one at a price that isn't making me wince a little

OP
OP
D

Dzzi

Quick update and a request for further advice. So in the end i got a black 50T and black 34t SRAM powerglide rings i didnt really need the 34T but i couldn't inflict mismatching chainrings on my bike i also got a new SRAM 10 speed chain.

Question 1 - The chain i took of had 55 links the new one has 56, the old chain was fitted at my LBS, given that this chain is specifically for 10 speed SRAM set up and im running 50/34 and 11/32 should i remove a link or will 56 be ok...i have a link remover just seems odd to need to do that but perhaps the 56 links are for those running more that a 50 ?

Ok so everything was going fine...i was just giving the chainring bolts a final tighten and like a bloody idiot i have sheared one off :rolleyes:, i've done a quick google search they only seem to come in sets which is fine, the SRAM ones seems massively expensive, i'm kind of assuming these are standard and i got get any bolts of the same size/type?

..also @si_c thanks i decided to suck it and see on the cassette it's pretty new and tbh it looks fine to me..but as you say lets see.

TIA

Dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom