Sram expert please? Advice wanted on crankset compatability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Hi there,

I have Sram Red 20 speed from 2011, and I want to change the crankset (for Alpine climbing). My current cranks are the original 2011 130 bcd 53/59. I've obtained a good as new set of Red Exogram 22 speed with 110bcd, 50/34, so should be ideal.

Only thing is, the chainrings say only suitable for Yaw 22 front deraillier. I'm sure I red that some Sram Red chainrings were 10 and 11 speed compatible, but perhaps I've just ended up with some that aren't?

Any advice? My inclination is just to fit them, and see how they work, and if necessary upgrade the Front Derailleur to the 22 Yaw version as and when I find one cheap, since I'd like to begin a rolling upgrade program to 22 speed anyway.

Anybody with any experience of these issues your feedback would be much appreciated!

Jackmaster

Regular
From what I have read nearly all 10 and 11 speed chainsets are cross compatible as how would 11 speed chainsets be marketed as 10 speed compatible?

I'm a beginner so not really sure! But am running an 11 speed 105 5800 11 speed chainset with 10 speed everything else silently.

It's marketing BS. If you are running 11 speed then all manufacturers are cross compatible with cassettes. Don't believe me? Maybe this guy can help... http://www.velonews.com/2013/09/bikes-and-tech/drivetrain-compatibility-hidden-in-plain-sight_303199

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I used to run a SRAM 50/34 BB30 with 10 speed cassette on my Boardman SLR and wanted to switch to a 50/34 front. I bought a nearly new second-hand SRAM Red 110BCD (compact) 50/34 GXP crankset and paired it with the Wheels MFG GXP spacers/converters. They space the compact 24mm GXP crank back up to your original 30mm BB internal diameter. Then hey presto, compact switch. I never switched the FD, just took a bit of tweaking and adjustment to get the original FD set up properly and it was good to go. I also switched the rear cassette to a 11-32 and swapped out the RD for a SRAM Red Medium Cage.

Together they made the world of difference on climbs. Living in Yorkshire the change was much needed. I hope this helps. Below are the spacers I referred to.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wheels-manu...|pcrid|67090789262|pkw||pmt||prd|5360375067uk

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I would be very surprised if you couldn't use a Sram 11speed crank and rings with a 10 speed setup if they both use the same bb.

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I've got it working OK'ish. The only issue is chain rub on the FD in extreme gears, this is because of the chainrings being designed to work with the Yaw front derailleur. Still shouldn't cross chain anyway! The squeaking seems to have gone after a little ride, and getting the rear mech hanger straightened out made a really positive difference too!

Top Bottom