sram front derailleur issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpg123

I have just replaced a broken sram front derailleur (x4) with a newer one(x5). My issue is that the new derailleur has to be fixed in a way that the outer plate of the cage is quite a lot higher than the biggest front cog, all the videos that i have watched on youtube(park tool,gcn etc) tell me that the outer cage should be within a few mm's above the biggest cog. If i do this the inner part of the cage touches the middle front cog and stalls the motion, the inner cage plate is a lot lower than the outer cage plate. Does it matter? Is this something particular to sram? Some advice would be much appreciated. I hope i have explained myself well, if not i can add more information. Thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A pic would good. If its not possible to have it that low it will still work higher. What model is it?

OP
OP
J

jpg123

Its an sram x5 low front derailleur(3x9). It shifts ok but im just worried about the chain coming off the top ring. I have replaced sram with sram but now im wondering if i should have just bought a cheap one from decathlon which i think is microshift. I'll try and get a pic up. Cheers for the reply.

T4tomo

Guru
, the inner cage plate is a lot lower than the outer cage plate.

I think this is your answer, the 2-3 mm guidance is when the inner and outer cage are at similar depths. I’ve not seen an X5 FD, but sounds like it’s a tad different. If it shifts OK then it is OK.

OP
OP
J

jpg123

This is how it looks, Its how low the inner cage plate is compared to the outer which is making me set it higher.
IMG_20190621_102623481.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I can't really see what is preventing it from going lower from that pic. The chain stay would also present problems if going lower.
I had to file out a chunk on my Microshift FD as a bottle mont braze was in the way.

OP
OP
J

jpg123

From the other side, the inner cage plate has the minimal amount of clearance over the middle cog of the front three
IMG_20190621_115555426.jpg

OP
OP
J

jpg123

I'm pretty sure its a triple, this(pricier) sram one is pretty much identical and its a 3x10. Maybe its a new design or maybe im not understanding the difference between double and triple?
upload_2019-6-21_12-19-55.png

There are two versions of the x5 a low clamp version and a high clamp version. Perhaps you have bought the wrong versions?

OP
OP
J

jpg123

Yeah I actually ordered the high clamp from tredz, it took three weeks to come and they sent me the low clamp instead. I assumed the cage would be the same on both, maybe im wrong, I have not seen a picture of the high clamp. This has turned into a bit of a goosechase tbh, should have gone to my local bike shop. The derailleur shifts ok but just looks a bit odd, if the chain starts coming off I'll change it.

Top Bottom