SRAM Rival 1 rear derailleur - spare?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eversorich

Hi All,
My bike came with an SRAM Rival 1 (long cage) rear derailleur. I'll be leaving to travel Asia in the next few months and I want to take a spare derailleur. I'm pretty good with Shimano but I'm now aware of the finicky side of SRAM so my question is this:

Can I use another cheaper SRAM rear derailleur (with long cage) as a backup so I'm not spending £100 just to potentially not be used?

Any advice is appreciated.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So long as it's the same speed road SRAM mech yes.

PS you'd be surprised at what you can get. My mate has toured the world, and it was often quicker to get parts sent to his hotel/hostel from the likes of Wiggle etc, than get locally. Just a few days. He had a Thorn tourer equipped with Shimano XT - even in Malaysia (home of Shimano) he got parts from the UK.

OP
OP
eversorich

eversorich

So long as it's the same speed road SRAM mech yes.

PS you'd be surprised at what you can get. My mate has toured the world, and it was often quicker to get parts sent to his hotel/hostel from the likes of Wiggle etc, than get locally. Just a few days. He had a Thorn tourer equipped with Shimano XT - even in Malaysia (home of Shimano) he got parts from the UK.
I thought that the case, thanks for the advice. I'll take the international delivery advice on board too! Cheers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are unlikely to smash a rear mech TBH. Maybe carry spare cables, chain. Lets say my mate has had far few use and abuse damage than I got on my commute bike. Don't forget, you aren't in a rush, so what's a few extra days chilling awaiting a part. That's how my mate saw it (my best man actually). He's spent the best part of the last 10 years away. He's currently home, planning a trip round Africa with a friend, but in a cheap banger of a car.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bicycles are ubiquitous in all parts of Asia so I'm sure you'll never have trouble finding parts locally at least to get you out of trouble.
DHL and other couriers are very good but if you wanted say a fifty quid derailleur sent out from the UK it would more than double the cost. I get stuff sent down here by Evans and it only cost £15 but I have to order minimum £140. Costs vary wildly from retailer to retailer. Some will only send to certain countries.

OP
OP
eversorich

eversorich

Bicycles are ubiquitous in all parts of Asia so I'm sure you'll never have trouble finding parts locally at least to get you out of trouble.
DHL and other couriers are very good but if you wanted say a fifty quid derailleur sent out from the UK it would more than double the cost. I get stuff sent down here by Evans and it only cost £15 but I have to order minimum £140. Costs vary wildly from retailer to retailer. Some will only send to certain countries.
The problem i have is that I'm on an 11 speed system with not-your-average gearing! My stupid oversight when buying my bike, not considering where I'm going and the availability of parts.
Thanks for your advice.

OP
OP
eversorich

eversorich

You are unlikely to smash a rear mech TBH. Maybe carry spare cables, chain. Lets say my mate has had far few use and abuse damage than I got on my commute bike. Don't forget, you aren't in a rush, so what's a few extra days chilling awaiting a part. That's how my mate saw it (my best man actually). He's spent the best part of the last 10 years away. He's currently home, planning a trip round Africa with a friend, but in a cheap banger of a car.
I know it's a rare case but I've had a mate do just that whilst bikepacking down south. I just don't want to be in a position in the middle of nowhere with no access to parts—I say that due to my drivetrain being 11 speed and SRAM which aren't your average bike parts where I'm going.
Thanks for your advice! :-)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
How long are you travelling for? Wiggle/Chain Reaction have 365 day returns periods (other companies may do too), so you could buy, unbox and carry carefully, and return for free unused in perfect condition if not needed. Clearly it’s an upfront investment but if you’re v concerned, maybe worthwhile

OP
OP
eversorich

eversorich

How long are you travelling for? Wiggle/Chain Reaction have 365 day returns periods (other companies may do too), so you could buy, unbox and carry carefully, and return for free unused in perfect condition if not needed. Clearly it’s an upfront investment but if you’re v concerned, maybe worthwhile
Ssssssssuperb proposal! I’d forgotten about Wiggle’s year return; which is where I ordered my spare last night. I’m going for just under a year anyway so that works great.
Thanks.

Top Bottom