Sram Rival 10spd chainset or Shimano 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spennie

Veteran
I cant decide which chainset to buy, at the moment i ride on a triple shimano 105 chainset on my re/bent trike, but to save weight, i'm going to change to a double compact, but which one, Sram Rival or stay with Shimano. Any thoughts?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
What differences are you expecting ? And how many grams are you going to save ?

S-Express

Another vote for not bothering unless the triple is knackered and you need a new crank, you'll only save the weight of a sandwich.

Well.... ;)

C6aNaa6UoAA0LTm.jpg

OP
OP
spennie

spennie

Veteran
The Chainsets my last change i need to make, as i've been updating my Trike over the last couple of years. I never use the granny chainring(one of the advantages of living in North Norfolk). I was just wondering really if the Sram Rival would be a better choice than the shimano 105.

The Chainsets my last change i need to make, as i've been updating my Trike over the last couple of years. I never use the granny chainring(one of the advantages of living in North Norfolk). I was just wondering really if the Sram Rival would be a better choice than the shimano 105.
You've wondered, we've answered. Go for a ride. Your location is irrelevant.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you don't use the granny ring and really feel the weight loss would be useful in some way then remove the granny ring and mounting bolts.

I did the opposite on my MTB tourer - never ever got on the big ring when fully laden, so off it came, although it's made zero point zero zero zero difference to the ride or performance.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Nonsense.

Mileage on 'most used' bike between December 2014 & December 2015 was a fraction over 6200 miles. The chain was replaced 4 times in that period due to wear/stretching. SRAM Rival fitted.

Replacement 'most used' bike fitted with Shimano 105... mileage between February 2016 & June 2017 is 8500 miles. I have just replaced 4th chain less than 50 miles ago.

Factual evidence from my riding. If have have any evidence which substantiates your nonsense claim, I'm happy to agree to disagree on the matter.

Mileage on 'most used' bike between December 2014 & December 2015 was a fraction over 6200 miles. The chain was replaced 4 times in that period due to wear/stretching. SRAM Rival fitted.

Replacement 'most used' bike fitted with Shimano 105... mileage between February 2016 & June 2017 is 8500 miles. I have just replaced 4th chain less than 50 miles ago.

Factual evidence from my riding. If have have any evidence which substantiates your nonsense claim, I'm happy to agree to disagree on the matter.

OK, since you applied such rigorous scientific method, please give me a list of the exact length of each chain over a 24 (half) link section at the time of replacement.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
OK, since you applied such rigorous scientific method, please give me a list of the exact length of each chain over a 24 (half) link section at the time of replacement.

My method was not scientific, however, I come from an engineering background. Chains were checked using a chain checking tool replaced when necessary (in excess of 0.6% stretch). Pins were also measured and replaced when worn beyond 0.25mm (tolerance when new never exceeded +/- 0.03mm for either make).

I will say that the last chain used on the SRAM Rival set-up was a Shimano105 (all my LBS had in stock). This was still going strong after 1500 miles.

I look forward to your counter argument which confirms your nonsense theory.

Top Bottom