SS Chain Masterlink

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by EasyPeez, 16 Nov 2017.

Tags:
  1. EasyPeez

EasyPeez Über Member

Hi,

I'm new to riding SS. I gave my chain (which is a lot chunkier and more gold coloured than I'm used to!) a clean last night and realised that the quicklink/masterlink is different to the ones on my derailleur bikes. I had a go but couldn't work out how to split it by hand. It looks like the masterlink would be re-usable? But also that it might need needle-nosed pliers to get it off?

I have a pair of these, but wasn't sure if it was a good idea to try to use it with this kind of masterlink -

http://tinyurl.com/y9k33hpq

So, what is the best way to get split and reconnect the chain with the masterlink, and what do people carry with them on rides, if anything, as a precaution against a broken chain?

Cheers.

masterlink.jpg masterlink.jpg

dave r likes this.
  2. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

Any pair of pliers should be ok, however for a 1/8th chain or a 3/32nd chain, I wouldn't bother with a quick link, but just use the chain splitter tool.

Don't forget that those U clips are directional, with the closed end on the leading side.

ChrisEyles, dave r and raleighnut like this.
  3. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Push the open right end of that pictured leftwards with the blade of a flat screwdriver. Once it's slid over the pins, lift it off from the left. Then pull the front plate off. Then push the rear plate with pins attached off to split the chain.

I just carry another split link with me and make sure I've at least a quarter inch of dropout available in front of the wheel, in case an inner plate fails.

EasyPeez and raleighnut like this.
  4. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Oooh, not seen a 'split link' for yonks

Smokin Joe and dave r like this.
  5. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

Nor me, on the fixed I just use a chain tool.

ChrisEyles likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    EasyPeez

EasyPeez Über Member

Thanks for that. There is a flathead screwdriver on my multitool, albeit it not a very useful one, so I'll see if I can manage it with that, save taking anything extra out on rides. Cheers.

7. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

You may need 'fielders' though as sometimes they 'ping' , 2 slips and a gulley should suffice though. :laugh:

Salty seadog, EasyPeez and Sharky like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    EasyPeez

EasyPeez Über Member

I suspect I shall end up performing more like a silly point, at least on the first couple of attempts.

raleighnut likes this.
  9. mjr

Some multi tool ones are intended for adjusting tiny limit screws and may be too small, but it might work. I usually find the oil deters it from pinging off. I think it makes life easier if you can split the chain readily when needed.

EasyPeez likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    EasyPeez

EasyPeez Über Member

Re: the chain btw - It looks quite different from the 10 speed chains I'm used to. I think it's a KMC 810 BMX chain. It is chunkier with different shaped plates for any practical reason? Or just cos BMX riders are :becool:

Attached Files:

11. mjr

It might just be to make it less likely to cut flesh, clothes or whatever if the moving chain rubs along them, which might be more likely doing BMX stunts BICBW.

Are those allen-head bolts for mounting a chainguard? It doesn't seem an obvious place for a bottle or pump.

12. OP
    OP
    EasyPeez

EasyPeez Über Member

mjr likes this.
  13. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I didn't think they still made those horrible bastard guaranteed to take a chunk out of at least one finger links from hell anymore.

Don't bother trying to find it after it pings across the floor (Via your eye), either fit a modern one or join with a chain tool.

raleighnut likes this.
  14. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

The voice of experience there. :B)

Smokin Joe likes this.
  15. mjr

What do you mean by a modern one? KMC now offer a two piece bend to fit/remove one, but that seems as likely to injure you, plus sometimes fails during removal. Just use a screwdriver on a classic link and keep your fingers well clear IMO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice