SS Chain Masterlink

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I'm new to riding SS. I gave my chain (which is a lot chunkier and more gold coloured than I'm used to!) a clean last night and realised that the quicklink/masterlink is different to the ones on my derailleur bikes. I had a go but couldn't work out how to split it by hand. It looks like the masterlink would be re-usable? But also that it might need needle-nosed pliers to get it off?

I have a pair of these, but wasn't sure if it was a good idea to try to use it with this kind of masterlink -

http://tinyurl.com/y9k33hpq

So, what is the best way to get split and reconnect the chain with the masterlink, and what do people carry with them on rides, if anything, as a precaution against a broken chain?

Cheers.

masterlink.jpg
masterlink.jpg

Sharky

Guru
Any pair of pliers should be ok, however for a 1/8th chain or a 3/32nd chain, I wouldn't bother with a quick link, but just use the chain splitter tool.

Don't forget that those U clips are directional, with the closed end on the leading side.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Push the open right end of that pictured leftwards with the blade of a flat screwdriver. Once it's slid over the pins, lift it off from the left. Then pull the front plate off. Then push the rear plate with pins attached off to split the chain.

I just carry another split link with me and make sure I've at least a quarter inch of dropout available in front of the wheel, in case an inner plate fails.

mjr

Thanks for that. There is a flathead screwdriver on my multitool, albeit it not a very useful one, so I'll see if I can manage it with that, save taking anything extra out on rides. Cheers.
Some multi tool ones are intended for adjusting tiny limit screws and may be too small, but it might work. I usually find the oil deters it from pinging off. I think it makes life easier if you can split the chain readily when needed.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Re: the chain btw - It looks quite different from the 10 speed chains I'm used to. I think it's a KMC 810 BMX chain. It is chunkier with different shaped plates for any practical reason? Or just cos BMX riders are :becool:

Attachments

• IMG_5772.JPG
    IMG_5772.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 77

mjr

It is chunkier with different shaped plates for any practical reason?
It might just be to make it less likely to cut flesh, clothes or whatever if the moving chain rubs along them, which might be more likely doing BMX stunts BICBW.

Are those allen-head bolts for mounting a chainguard? It doesn't seem an obvious place for a bottle or pump.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I didn't think they still made those horrible bastard guaranteed to take a chunk out of at least one finger links from hell anymore.

Don't bother trying to find it after it pings across the floor (Via your eye), either fit a modern one or join with a chain tool.

mjr

What do you mean by a modern one? KMC now offer a two piece bend to fit/remove one, but that seems as likely to injure you, plus sometimes fails during removal. Just use a screwdriver on a classic link and keep your fingers well clear IMO.

Top Bottom