SS Disc Hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Yes, sorry

As I said, as far as possible

Yes - but you don't really need a calculator

Don't overthink it - it's trial and error (very little error)

Install your chosen Chainring
Install your largest chosen sprocket
Put your rear wheel forward as far as you can
Install your new chain, measuring as you go, to see how much to cut off

Everything else (chainline and slack) is fine tuning

Yeah, I think I'm just over-thinking it because I've never done it before and I plan to stick with the same chainring but lose teeth on the sprocket. Which, given that I can't really pull the axle any further back than I currently have it, means I'll need a shorter chain. Which is fine, but I just don't want to over-shorten it and then have to put links back in, if I can avoid it.

My current chain seems to have a quick link actually, though it seems to be different from the ones I'm used to using with my 10 speed chains, so I need to fathom how that works and if I can fit one to the new chain once I've bought and shortened it.

Cheers.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Just to throw a spanner in the works (or rather an additional chaining) there's always the option of a "Ghost Ring" as an alternative to a tensioner.

This sometimes works for road SS although I wouldn't recommend it for off road use (although some have done it)

It also has the added benefit of confusing the hell out of anyone who sees it.

View attachment 382395

http://rollinginboston.bostonbiker....-a-single-speed-or-internally-geared-bicycle/

Wow, I wonder who first thought of that? Just remember not to use a biopace ring!

Top Bottom