SS Fashion or Function?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Plimsoles don't have any leather on them :tongue:

Plimsoles are so last year.

We all ride on bespoke, cleated espadrilles now.

I have a little man on the estate who makes them for me.

Lovely old chap, but sadly he has quite painful arthritis.

I'm not sure he can go on much longer because of the pain, which is rather sad. It's going to be jolly hard to find someone as good.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member

zigzag

Veteran
regarding ss and no rear brake - i don't see any problem. i rode such bike in and out of london for three years, never missed rear brake, the front was set up well, i could do front-wheelie stops. brake cable snap - how likely is that? if i start worrying about things snapping (like handlebars, four years ago..), then i should stop riding bikes now, or should have never started in the first place

SS Retro

I like my single speed but it's not a hipster's bike its an Audax bike with one gear. :rolleyes:

But I do admire some of the hipsters machines and you tube videos (search mash sf) at the end of the day there cyclist just like BMX, recumbant's, tricycle, MTB, road, folding, Audax, touring, trials, RIDERS just like me and you!

I still don't know what the cards in the spokes are for?

wanda2010

Guru
Within the LFGSS group spoke cards are/have been created for some of the group rides. I have a (far too small) collection on my kitchen pinboard :smile:

wanda2010

Guru
Oh :sad:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
My SS is definitely about function not fashion. Being made from an old hybrid and hand-me-down drops it's not going to win any fashion prizes.

I use a SS for commuting as there is less to go wrong and it's easier to clean. Having enough clearance for studded tyres is a bonus :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I like my single speed but it's not a hipster's bike its an Audax bike with one gear. :rolleyes:

But I do admire some of the hipsters machines and you tube videos (search mash sf) at the end of the day there cyclist just like BMX, recumbant's, tricycle, MTB, road, folding, Audax, touring, trials, RIDERS just like me and you!

I still don't know what the cards in the spokes are for?

They indicate participation in event's such as alleycat races. Used to be playing cards, you would collect one of each suit from the 4 checkpoints, now they make spoke cards using their hipster design skills!

wanda2010

Guru
They indicate participation in event's such as alleycat races and some rides (eg Guinness Ride, 50 fixed women etc). Used to be playing cards, you would collect one of each suit from the 4 checkpoints, now they make spoke cards using their hipster design skills!

Fixt :thumbsup:

SS Retro

They indicate participation in event's such as alleycat races. Used to be playing cards, you would collect one of each suit from the 4 checkpoints, now they make spoke cards using their hipster design skills!
Cheers, I did figure it was something to do with being in the hipster gang but the little bit about alleycat races is interesting.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Getting back to the main question, I'd say it's more function than fashion.
My first decent road bike was a DynaTech 401 Ti, and I loved it. Until the threading on the gear lever boss stripped. So, I stripped the components off, fitted then to another frame, and left the Ti in the garage.
Until I borrowed a fixed in Berlin, and started thinking...
It's built up now, with a flip-flop hub, so fixed or SS (given a few minutes and a spanner).
I wouldn't want it as my only bike, but I wouldn't want to be without it.
My spares heap and a disused frame gave me a bike that's a cracking ride, and it's lighter than my carbon road bike. What's not to like about that?

Top Bottom