Stage 2: SPOILER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dragon72

Guru
I reckon Thor's crossed Fabian off his party invitation list this afternoon. Not a happy Viking.

Mac66

These guys are paid to race regardless of conditions. Taking this protest to its logical conclusion results in only racing on completely smooth roads, with no street furniture, providing that the race organisers also do anti-rain dances to appease the god(s) so that it stays dry.

I am all for not taking advantage of opponents misfortunes but after the peleton regrouped, the racing should have recommenced in my opinion.

raindog

er.....
Mac66 said:
I am all for not taking advantage of opponents misfortunes but after the peleton regrouped, the racing should have recommenced in my opinion.
Absolutely. I'm still searching for a valid reason why they didn't contest the sprint. It's understandable that Thor is pissed off, but Cav must be well chuffed.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It seemed to me that the protest benefitted the GC contenders at the expense of the Maillot Vert contenders - I wonder slightly about how vociferous Mr. Riis was in advocating the protest, as he seems to have gained the most benefit (by the Schlecks having a reasonably easy run in).

My big worry is what will happen today - are they going to process over the cobbles as well? Might as well go back to the old formula of the tour with the flat (in both senses) first week where not much happens...

Fantastic win by Chavanel though, a rider I've always liked who very much deserved his moment in the spotlight today.

bobbyp

If some of the stories are to be believed then I can understand the protest. It sounds as if the mayhem was caused by the moto crashing after a rider came down. Seeing the coverage yesterday that moto looked far too close to the rider for a descent like that.

Its all very well expecting the riders to cope with weather and terrain but a support vehicle crashing on the course should surely have called for the organisers to neutralise that section until they were all through it?

raindog

er.....
I don't think there was a protest. The riders simply decided to regroup the peloton as half the teams were sliding about on their arses. Berto says after he crashed and managed to get going again he heard that AndyS was down too, so told his team to ease up and wait. I find that pretty classy.

yello

Mac66 said:

One of the opinions expressed, and I can see the sense in it though I'm still undecided as to whether I agree or not, is that 'nobody' wanted to take advantage of injured riders. Hence no racing, no sprint.

This incident sounds like above and beyond racing to me. Whatever caused the offs, it does seem to me that it wasn't just a simple case of a wet road. No amount of skill can compensate for a diesel spill for instance. If it's the case that there was something abnormal (like a diesel spill) then I'd side with the action of Cancellera et al, a voluntary neutralisation. Sorry Thor!

NickM

Veteran
There was a "voluntary neutralisation", but it was more voluntary in some cases than in others!

Cancellara, from his "piano, piano" gestures as the bunch approached the finish line, clearly regards himself as the patron of the peloton. Whether he is entitled to that status is another matter...

There seemed to be some riders who didn't mind nicking a few places in the final metres, so it is a good decision by the race officials not to award points other than to Chavanel.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It used to be that you didn't attack the race leader if he had a chute or a mechanical.

Now it's that you don't ride if the GC favourites are down? how far down the order does this favour get extended?

and what accidents du course are included in the list of reasons to neutralise the stage? If this year's Giro had been raced according to these rules, every other stage would have been ridden neutral, ffs.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The road was very slippery, seemed more so than if it was just rain - there was that guy with the yellow shirt on (not Cancellara!) who almost went base over apex just walking across it trying to assist some of the riders.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
NickM said:
Cancellara, from his "piano, piano" gestures as the bunch approached the finish line, clearly regards himself as the patron of the peloton. Whether he is entitled to that status is another matter...

There seemed to be some riders who didn't mind nicking a few places in the final metres, so it is a good decision by the race officials not to award points other than to Chavanel.
That would be because he was in yellow, yes? The maillot jaune carries a certain amount of responsibility, I don't think it's an ego thing.

There is a pic of an HTC rider gesturing at another rider who is doing just that as he crosses the line.

Top Bottom