Stage 2: SPOILER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Mac66 said:
These guys are paid to race regardless of conditions. Taking this protest to its logical conclusion results in only racing on completely smooth roads, with no street furniture, providing that the race organisers also do anti-rain dances to appease the god(s) so that it stays dry.

We shall call it...

A VELODROME!!! :ohmy:

NickM

Veteran
Chuffy said:
That would be because he was in yellow, yes? The maillot jaune carries a certain amount of responsibility, I don't think it's an ego thing.
I think a maillot jaune as temporary as Cancellara's confers little of the status which could be legitimately claimed by genuine "patrons" - riders of the calibre of Merckx, Hinault et al.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
NickM said:
I think a maillot jaune as temporary as Cancellara's confers little of the status which could be legitimately claimed by genuine "patrons" - riders of the calibre of Merckx, Hinault et al.
Perhaps not, but on special occasions someone has to speak up for the riders and that person would usually be the maillot-jaune, the responsibility comes with the jersey. Anyway, Spartacus is hardly some random nobody who picked the shirt up at the roadside.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I assume I didn't miss much, was out all evening, and forgot to set the box, upon returning found ITV4 didn't have it on the ITV Player...FFS.......

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Stephen Roche;
"Where does the bike racing start and stop? Legends are made from getting through all kinds of conditions. Whereas, if they're going to neutralise the race because it's raining and it's getting slippy – Some guys came down, and some guys didn't come down. The rider who gets down [the descent] without falling off deserves more merit than the guy who did fall off, but that's bike racing. I was very disappointed.
"
http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx?id=1500

I hadn't realized they'd banned bike changes except from team cars because of mechanical doping. So on the cobbles today, most teams would normally position a mechanic with a spare bike next to the pave sections but instead it can only be done from the team car which may be 2K back.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Crackle said:
I hadn't realized they'd banned bike changes except from team cars because of mechanical doping. So on the cobbles today, most teams would normally position a mechanic with a spare bike next to the pave sections but instead it can only be done from the team car which may be 2K back.

Didn't hear them say that on Eurosport :biggrin:. No wonder people are a bit worried!

NickM

Veteran
Chuffy said:
...that person would usually be the maillot-jaune, the responsibility comes with the jersey.
I take your point.

Chuffy said:
Anyway, Spartacus is hardly some random nobody who picked the shirt up at the roadside.
No; but Hinault, if annoyed with somebody, could and occasionally would exact retribution by making the racing intolerably hard - and he could do it over any kind of terrain. I don't think Cancellara is quite in that class, either as a rider or as a personality. From Paul Kimmage and from Fignon's "We were Young and Carefree" (recently read - highly recommended) I get the impression that the Badger could be a pretty fearsome individual!

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
John the Monkey said:
Stephen Roche;
"Where does the bike racing start and stop? Legends are made from getting through all kinds of conditions. Whereas, if they're going to neutralise the race because it's raining and it's getting slippy – Some guys came down, and some guys didn't come down. The rider who gets down [the descent] without falling off deserves more merit than the guy who did fall off, but that's bike racing. I was very disappointed.
"
http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx?id=1500
Easy enough to say if you weren't riding the stage. From the rider reports it would appear that it wasn't just a 'normal' rain-slippery road, it was something more, with people coming off even when riding in a straight line. That's not a fair test of bike riding skill, it's just pure blind luck. The peloton doesn't protest and neutralise stages just because of a wee crash or because it suits any one team. Just look at the strada bianchi stage on the Giro for what they can and will ride through. Evans won that and even he was fully behind yesterdays action.
If they, collectively, decide that enough is enough then I would respect their professional opinion. Stephen Roche knows his stuff, sure, but he wasn't riding yesterday and nor were we.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
NickM said:
No; but Hinault, if annoyed with somebody, could and occasionally would exact retribution by making the racing intolerably hard - and he could do it over any kind of terrain. I don't think Cancellara is quite in that class, either as a rider or as a personality. From Paul Kimmage and from Fignon's "We were Young and Carefree" (recently read - highly recommended) I get the impression that the Badger could be a pretty fearsome individual!
No, he isn't and hurrah for that, Hinault was a Grade A nutjob. But being the Grand Patron and stepping up in a unique situation are two different things.

Must read the Fignon book...

NickM

Veteran
Chuffy said:
...not a fair test of bike riding skill, it's just pure blind luck. The peloton doesn't protest and neutralise stages just because of a wee crash...
I don't disagree with the sentiment, Chuffy, but none of this could have happened without race radio, and isn't that due to be taken away sometime soon?

NickM

Veteran
Chuffy said:
Must read the Fignon book...
It's not unbiased, nor without some of the usual evasiveness and special pleading, but it's well written (in a French sorta way), generally well translated, and insightful. All the more interesting for being first hand, too. Fignon reckons he rode at the tail end of the Golden Age of cycling, and by the end of the book I agreed with him.

Top Bottom