Stage 5 - Spoiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
The last sprinters stage for a while, will another break away spoil their fun or will the sprint teams keep a closer eye on the breaks in this stage. Cavendish must be again one of the men to watch, so I hope he makes it but McEwen must also be very 'hungry' by now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rustychisel

Yeah, there'll be a few of them gagging for a win. Interesting to see the relative level of disorganisation in the peloton when Van Sommeren isn't there driving them on for 50km, or no Fassa-train for Pettacci... I'm convinced the escapees would (perhaps should) have been caught in Stage 3.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
rustychisel said:
Yeah, there'll be a few of them gagging for a win. Interesting to see the relative level of disorganisation in the peloton when Van Sommeren isn't there driving them on for 50km, or no Fassa-train for Pettacci... I'm convinced the escapees would (perhaps should) have been caught in Stage 3.

How is Cadel Evans perceived in Oz, Rusty?

yello

This is a 'home town' finish for me in Chateâuroux... around 60km away. It's definitely a sprinters finish too, a good long straight finishing outside the stade Vincente Calderon (the home of the meekly 'La Berrichone'!)

It's a flat stage too, so (crashes excluding) no excuses for teams not being able to get the lead outs trains going. Given the sprinters haven't really had a look in so far, I predict mayhem! May the best elbows win.... gotta be McEwan then hasn't it!

yello

Dunno, I wasn't going to because I wanted to be sure I'd see the finish BUT it's a cracking day out there, sunny and a gentle breeze, so I might just ride up. I can get anxious in crowds so I try to avoid such situations.

The departe tomorrow in Aigurande is closer (around 25km) so I'd planned to go down to that early and mosey around the team buses, village, etc.

Edit: my misses has just told me to go! No, she's not throwing me out. She reckons I'm daft not to go up to the finish, as it was 10 years since the tour was last this way. Reckons I can watch on the big screen if I can't get near the finish, or watch on tele this evening. She's right of course. So, keep an eye out for the CycleChat shirt!

kennykool

I must be sounding boring by now but .......COME ON CAV...today is definately your day for a stage win.

Was anyone else disapointed at ITV's interview with Schumacher last night???? It was almost as if they WANT him to have taken drugs. He fluffed his words slightly...English not great? or just surprised to be hearing such ridiculous questions????

Give the boy a break - he'd just won the stage and taken the yellow jersey

rustychisel

yello said:
Dunno, I wasn't going to because I wanted to be sure I'd see the finish BUT it's a cracking day out there, sunny and a gentle breeze, so I might just ride up. I can get anxious in crowds so I try to avoid such situations.

The departe tomorrow in Aigurande is closer (around 25km) so I'd planned to go down to that early and mosey around the team buses, village, etc.

Yeeaaaah, I envy you. I was in France in '05 - depart at Grenoble amongst other places (up the Lautaret and Galibier) and it were grand.

Rich, I reckon most Aussies would be right behind Cadel, just because he's there, he's in with a chance, and he's our best hope. Reasons enough, eh? Maybe he's a bit of a strange fish, but people tell me he's a very genuine person, and he sure looks genuine on the bike. When he's in trouble he makes it look hard work, which is funny, it's meant to be. Remember last year when Rasmussen crested a climb looking fresh as a cucumber?? We all knew why the next day... Cadel's not like that, thank goodness.
Anyway, I don't know the man, but I'll be overjoyed if he manages to win the GC, I'm sure he's put the work in. All of which didn't really answer your question, but we like a good hard worker.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I can understand why the patriotic support kicks in - I even find myself supporting Andy Murray sometimes!

I think he'd be more liked over here if he showed a bit more aggression instead of only ever reacting. Maybe not fair, he certainly puts the efoort in.

kennykool

Lots of folks with a funny attitude towards Cavendish especially on the Mark Cavendish thread

Don't recall him saying he'd win 5 stages.......2 maybe

Tetedelacourse

For the record I don't like his attitude. There's simply no need to conduct yourself in that way regardless of your profession or ability. Some call it drive, some call it self-assurance, arrogance, over-confidence etc etc. Many successful sportsmen (Zabel, Kelly to name but 2) and women who have equal amounts of it have come across as much more decent.

Partly why for all his incredible feats Armstrong was so disliked.

kennykool

Armstrong is a man I admire and look up to. He is an inspiration to everyone - his attitude was dead right in my opinion!!!

Moonlight

I've already got bored with Cav, I don't think Evans needs a win, he's pretty secure already. And, Schumacher.. isn't he German TT champion anyway? So it shouldn't be too surprising, just Cancellara had an off-day.

Top Bottom