Stan and Ollie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Thanks Mr P- it's certainly been getting some rave reviews.
As a lifelong L&H fan, it's the first film to maybe tempt me back into a cinema since my last visit to one (in 2006 - The Boat that Rocked!).

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I saw it last night and enjoyed it. Steve Coogan is particularly good I thought. I don't think you'd like it if not a fan of slapstick, but it's made me look at several Laurel and Hardy scenes on YouTube which has had me laughing merrily.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
the last time I went to the cinema was with my wife to watch "TITANIC" we queued for an hour , finally got to the front and they wouldn't let me in , saying , .........women and children first:okay:
That's not much older than yesterday. I last went on New Years Day 1989 to see Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Sat on the smoking side of the cinema too.

Slick

Guru
I watched it on Saturday night and whilst I thought Steve Coogan was brilliant, I would have liked to know more about what they did in the 16 years apart and even a bit more about their life during the first successful days. My wife and I also interpreted it slightly differently as I took it from the couple of scenes that they were both living the high life womanising and gambling most of their early success away, whereas Mrs Slick reckoned that I misunderstood. I'm a big fan, always was despite them both been long passed before I was born, probably why I wanted to know much more than the film was willing to give up. I did enjoy it though.

tom73

Guru
Me and Mrs 73 a few years ago on holiday went to the Laurel and Hardy museum in ulverston. It’s one man’s life time collection. A great guy he use to run it he’d known Stan too. When he spotted Mrs 73 outside he said aren’t you coming in no am looking after the dog. Not a problem bring him in. It’s moved to a bigger site now. It was in the basement of Stan’s old house. Well worth a visit alsorts of random stuff they even have a side room playing on loop Laurel and Hardy films. Mrs 73 bought a little canvas wallet great for when we go out and about on the bike just holds a card and a bit of change.

Little fact Hardy was quite down to earth and not all big headed about it. Till he died he kept his name in the local phone book.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Glad to hear this is good - off to see it tomorrow - Steve Coogan seldom fails to please anyhow .

Stan and Ollie kept me very entertained as a kid too.

They still get referenced whenever I'm carrying a ladder.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A lovely film. Funny and sad in equal measures. Steve Coogan was born to play Stan though John C Reilly was excellent also. Thoroughly enjoyable film.

Top Bottom