Stand up and be counted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've never once seen a cyclist be aggressive towards a motorist who hadn't first threatened or harmed the rider by some act.
I have, though not often. I have seen plenty of cyclists who are aggressive towards pedestrians though.

Alan O

Über Member
I have, though not often. I have seen plenty of cyclists who are aggressive towards pedestrians though.
I've seen that, though rarely, too, with probably the worst last year on a mixed-use cycle path which is popular with all kinds of users - the Liverpool Loop line. I was on my bike at pootling speed, and there were walkers around too. A couple of riders in team kit came belting along shouting "coming through, coming through" and started swearing when the rest of us didn't obediently and instantly leap out of their way and they had to (shock, horror) slow down a bit.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"while some 45% still think it is alright to talk on a hands-free mobile phone."

It's not illegal is it? Unless they're referring to using a normal mobile phone in speaker mode, which is
Not illegal, but it's not alright either because we've known for over a decade that it makes you drive almost as badly as a drunk. Alternative source

I don't go as far as the local police who suggest putting the switched-off phone in the boot to avoid temptation, but I would at least put it into voice mode and leave it in the bottom of the door bin, reading out any info you need and the names of missed callers and don't respond until you've stopped. If you miss something you needed, park up and use it then.

classic33

Leg End Member
OK hands up, it was me. I often take out my frustration with car drivers by close passing them at speed or tailgating them whilst aggressively ringing my bell until they stop blocking the road and get out of my bleeding way!
I'll admit to being less than pleased with the driver of the van that just had to get to the next set of lights, about 50 yards further up the road in Shipley.

Pulling up behind him, I gave the back end a tap, undid the clamp on the bottom bracket out front, and awaited the expected reverse that never came.

Pulled by a police officer who was curious about what I was riding at the time.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not "Cyclists" or "Motorists" or "Truckers", or whatever else. Many people are just more aggressive now and it does not matter what their mode of transport they will be peanuts. Of course the bigger the vehicle the more harm you can do, but I'd bet the finger wagging shout at everyone bike riders behave just the same when they drive a car.

Yes, but especially the car drivers.

It's a shame the questions didn't seem to dig deep any deeper. It would have been illuminating to know what they think may be causing the cyclists aggression.
Some cyclists are just knobs. That's the way it is. Some motorists are too. Again that's the way it is.

Now what is a much, much bigger problem, and one that makes it impossible to make things any better, ever, is this long standing feud that exists between 'the motorist' and 'the cyclist'.

If people just saw other people rather than putting themselves and each other in neat categories, maybe we'd all show each other a bit more respect.

We all know that some motorists disobey the rules and etiquette of the road. That's been discussed at length. But so do some cyclists. Except we're not allowed to say that. We're not allowed to say, for example, that some cyclists run red lights, or that some make no effort to make themselves visible at night, or that some weave in and out of busy traffic while every driver in said busy traffic is doing their best to not miss a single bit of the overwhelming volume of information coming at them from pedestrians, other motorists, cyclists, lane markings, road signs, signals etc. We're also not allowed to say things like that some cyclists who do consider visibility, don't think it through, like those with laser strobe / distress beacons angled straight at the eyes of oncoming motorists, who then become knobs as they allow their vehicle to wander out of the lane briefly as they do their best to make out the lane markings having just been temporarily blinded.

For the feud to end, all sides have to look at themselves rather than constantly blaming each other and categorising people.

I'm a motorist. I'm also a cyclist and a pedestrian. Above all I'm also a human being with a family. I try to do my best by everyone. Like absolutely every one of us, I sometimes make mistakes. I make mistakes in the car, and I make mistakes on my bike. And every time I do, I thank my lucky stars that nobody got hurt, and rather than passing the book, I look at what I did and try to learn from it with the goal of not making the same mistake again.

Top Bottom