Standard of food in supermarkets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I totally agree. And why are lemons you buy abroad the size of rugby balls compared to the golf ball ones i got in Morrisons the other day? Don't get me started on tomatoes ....

They keep them for themselves…or you can probably buy in the Harrods food hall for a tenner a piece ;) Doubt it’s the right time of year for massive lemons even in the Med?

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Did you have Covid, lose smell and taste, still not quite back?

No but I've got flu now and am having to stay in. This problem predates this though.
Thank you for all your comments theres an organic grocer near me and I'll get some things next week.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
They keep them for themselves…or you can probably buy in the Harrods food hall for a tenner a piece ;) Doubt it’s the right time of year for massive lemons even in the Med?

Oh it is. If I’m in the Supermarket here in the Canary Isles tomorrow I’ll get pics. Everything was super-size compared to anything I’ve seen (Supermarket only) in the U.K. recently.

Yesterday I bought a giant clementine best part of 3 times the size of back in Blighty, an apple getting on for twice as big and a decent sized banana. For less than a Euro the lot. Strangely - going back to the original point though - I didn’t notice a huge (any) increase in flavour ? All were lovely, fresh etc - but have to say I didn’t notice a distinct increase or difference in flavour compared to our normal Supermarket bought produce back home…..

Still mass produced / farmed in bulk I guess - irrespective of better growing conditions and size from that.

You could try a local farm shop

They can be a bit more expensive but the quality is better

Naturally they do not always actually sell stuff they have grown themselves - but they do use locally grown stuff at time - and when they can;t then they use better stuff thatn the stuff the supermarkets use

For example - the tomatoes I am currently using are from the farm shop - about 20% bigger than those from Tesco and taste better

apples are the same - bigger and taste better as well as being juicier

They also never seemed to run out of anything when the papers were full of the terrible shortage of salad and stuff - farm shop was just as full as usual
and the eggs last WAY longer before the yolks all break when frying them

but - overall the supermarket stuff is not tasteless - just taste 'less' and are often smaller

main things my wife notices is that the potatoes taste 'woody' at times!

we stayed in France last november and I bought half a dozen eggs from a little shop for under 3 euros to do some scrambled for brekkie ... OMG, bright yellow not morris allegro beige for a change.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh it is. If I’m in the Supermarket here in the Canary Isles tomorrow I’ll get pics. Everything was super-size compared to anything I’ve seen (Supermarket only) in the U.K. recently.

Yesterday I bought a giant clementine best part of 3 times the size of back in Blighty, an apple getting on for twice as big and a decent sized banana. For less than a Euro the lot. Strangely - going back to the original point though - I didn’t notice a huge (any) increase in flavour ? All were lovely, fresh etc - but have to say I didn’t notice a distinct increase or difference in flavour compared to our normal Supermarket bought produce back home…..

Still mass produced / farmed in bulk I guess - irrespective of better growing conditions and size from that.

Canary Islands aren’t in the Med :whistle:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I only eat Paxo and Trill. Seems all the same to me.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Could be but I'm not old, I'm 53.

Neither was I when it started - under 60. We were extending the house and builders were creating a lot of dust cutting stone and concrete - thought to be the cause by the ENT doctor who checked me out.

dicko

Guru
On visiting my brother in New Zealand we were amazed at the taste of the fruit and veg. It was like stepping back to our childhood of the early 50s. Everything tasted like we remembered. On entering the supermarkets we were amazed just how much fruit and veg was on offer, loads more than in the UK. The food prices were much lower than the UK too. The Fish n Chips were superb.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
On visiting my brother in New Zealand we were amazed at the taste of the fruit and veg. It was like stepping back to our childhood of the early 50s. Everything tasted like we remembered. On entering the supermarkets we were amazed just how much fruit and veg was on offer, loads more than in the UK. The food prices were much lower than the UK too. The Fish n Chips were superb.

I’ve got two separate friends who now live in NZ. From everything I see / hear: everything is bigger / better / cheaper / warmer in NZ compared to the U.K. !

They work less hours, have more disposable income, standard of living is therefore generally a lot better etc etc. And the fresh produce / prices if your any sort of foodie is a reason for moving itself…..

dicko

Guru
I’ve got two separate friends who now live in NZ. From everything I see / hear: everything is bigger / better / cheaper / warmer in NZ compared to the U.K. !

They work less hours, have more disposable income, standard of living is therefore generally a lot better etc etc. And the fresh produce / prices if your any sort of foodie is a reason for moving itself…..

Also the roads, we hired a camper van drove from north to south, no potholes and in the cities no cigarette ends on the pavement either.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

A friend of mine went over with his then girlfriend while she worked for a few months and he fell in love with the place and now lives there full time.

Top Bottom