Standard of food in supermarkets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Hi, I dont know if its just me but I think a lot of food is now completely tasteless and inedible. I buy things/make myself my lunch/tea, then take a bite and just cant eat it. I try to get the freshest fruit and veg and refuse to shop at places like Iceland etc. But I still struggle because I think a lot of things are poor quality and tasteless. Does anyone else have this problem?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
The food, or are you loosing your taste it can happen

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi, I dont know if its just me but I think a lot of food is now completely tasteless and inedible. I buy things/make myself my lunch/tea, then take a bite and just cant eat it. I try to get the freshest fruit and veg and refuse to shop at places like Iceland etc. But I still struggle because I think a lot of things are poor quality and tasteless. Does anyone else have this problem?

Fruit and veg are seasonal? Are you buying stuff that’s come a long way? Do you eat fruit cold or room temperature, more taste the latter, bit like cheese.
Organic can taste better, carrots a prime example :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
A few years ago I stayed in a smallholding in the south of France. The owners grew all their own fruit and vegetables, I couldnt belive the difference they actually tasted nice and had a good flavour.

Can you grow your own? Get an allotment?
we don’t get the sunny weather of the south of France for quite a lot of fruit obviously but most veg should be feasible

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Shop locally grown. The difference is astounding between factory grown and local producer grown. You may pay few pence more but tasteless sh*te is the normal of mass produced food shiny, looks the same but tastes like the wrapper it's encased in.

gbb

Legendary Member
While supermarket food is doubtless less tasty or good for you, I havnt noticed a blandness in it.
Ready meals, processed foods will probably have less salt and sugar in now and while that's a good thing, taste will be compromised on stuff that is made with fewer fresh ingredients.
I worked in S America some years ago and found the food bland and boring ,so much so on my return journey, the desire to even eat in a well regarded hotel passed me by, I'd lost my appetite based on the previous 2 weeks food.

No doubt your taste can become unknowingly dulled or even tricked by eating supermarket fruit and veg, but I buy it 90% of the time and find the taste perfectly acceptable..so perhaps its you :okay:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Are you losing you sense of smell and taste? It can creep up on you very slowly - for me it wasn't until I commented on how mild the kippers we were eating were - much to the amazement of my wife - that I realised.

A few years ago I stayed in a smallholding in the south of France. The owners grew all their own fruit and vegetables, I couldnt belive the difference they actually tasted nice and had a good flavour.

I totally agree. And why are lemons you buy abroad the size of rugby balls compared to the golf ball ones i got in Morrisons the other day? Don't get me started on tomatoes ....

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think it may be worth trying some organic products . Haven't usually bought them but we some Heinz organic tomato ketchup the other day. The taste was very noticeable better but I can't vouch for other products.
Stuff that's been frozen for a long time is best avoided.

Top Bottom