Food de-frost question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I made some chicken curry and put 2 portions in the freezer (so its cooked, not raw).
Last night I took 1 portion/container out with the idea of having it for lunch today.
I left it in the fridge but have just checked (0630) and it is still frozen.
So.........
Can I leave it in the kitchen to give it a start or is that dangerous??

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes you can leave it out.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It seems almost sacrilegious but MrsD had set way ie defrosting and I happily went along with them. Now I am on my own I am (bravely??) looking into some of her long held thoughts.
Hence some really basic questions from me.

tom73

Guru
Yes leave it out once it's defrosted if you not ready to use it put it back in the fridge.
As said up thread key thing is make sure it's reheated all the way though.

Mike_P

Guru
To fridge defrost frozen dinners I always take out of the freezer around a day before I want to eat it and even then the likes of shepherd pie etc may need a quick defrost blast in the microwave.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I take 'left overs' into work frozen, as they wouldn't survive the journey if chilled (contents all over the panniers). They are often part frozen at lunch, so they just get microblasted till piping hot.

I made some chicken curry and put 2 portions in the freezer (so its cooked, not raw).
Last night I took 1 portion/container out with the idea of having it for lunch today.
I left it in the fridge but have just checked (0630) and it is still frozen.
So.........
Can I leave it in the kitchen to give it a start or is that dangerous??

Apparently before you put cooked food in the freezer you should leave it to cool completely, if you didn't know. I cook in batches and freeze 90% of what I make to take out later and reheat.

potsy

Rambler
I take them out of the freezer some time in the evening and put in the fridge, they will then be fully defrosted for tomorrow's evening meal.
Takes a bit of forward planning.

I've never been sure about microwaving from frozen, then again it's what you do with bought frozen ready meals so maybe it's OK?

I take them out of the freezer some time in the evening and put in the fridge, they will then be fully defrosted for tomorrow's evening meal.
Takes a bit of forward planning.

I've never been sure about microwaving from frozen, then again it's what you do with bought frozen ready meals so maybe it's OK?

I've microwaved none ready meals from frozen, start on a low setting to defrost it and nuke it after :hungry:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
There are some key principles about defrosting meat/food. Firstly if you have time then it's better to defrost in the fridge. Of course it's a slower process, but means that it will never go below 3 or 4 degrees (or whatever your fridge is at). If left to defrost in the kitchen, there is a risk that it will thaw and then come up to room temperature by the time you eat it, which is where bacteria can multiply the fastest.

Secondly, defrosting is all about air flow. You can get special slotted trays to do this on, but a rack will do just as well. If the air can circulate around the entire bulk of food, it will defrost faster. If you just leave it in a clump then it'll take longer to thaw in the middle, whilst the outside will be getting warm and in the danger zone. Even slower if the item is sealed in a bag, but that also protects it from surface bacteria.

Thirdly, as others have mentioned make sure food is piping hot before eating (as stated on lots of chilled and frozen foods).

gbb

Legendary Member
One thing that always comes up in food safety training is taking care with rice. Failure to make sure its not left out too long before refrigerating or freezing can leave it prone to a specific bacteria that's resistant to the heat that kills 'normal' bacteria. Can't remember the specific bacteria but it's one that comes up in every block of training .

Top Bottom