Standing in the Shadows of Motown on BBC4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA0GcXV2njY&feature=related

once again the BBC has proved worthy of the license fee, although you had to stay up to 4 last night to watch this. They've got interview footage of most of Motown's great studio artists, who have grown into the most gracious and engaging bunch of old men that you could wish to meet. The programme isn't available online, but you can find snippets on Youtube. There's an interruption in the one below that you just have to get round....

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZTRUpALajc&feature=related

one day they turned up for work at Hitsville USA to find a notice pinned to the door telling them that Motown had moved to Los Angeles. Nobody could ever accuse Berry Gordy of concensus building

It's all archive and repeated, but it doesn't get any less wonderful for that

Slowgrind

Yep, I`m loving every second of the stuff that the Beeb are putting out for fifty years of Mowtown. Can we have some more please?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Was that the one with Martin Freeman? I say one with him just before I left and although I loved every minute of the music and the interviews, I couldn't help thinking 'why Martin Freeman?' the whole time... sure, he's a fan, but then so am I! He's a comic actor, and not a great one either. He just did his one 'perplexed look' a lot and that got irritating.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Flying_Monkey said:
Was that the one with Martin Freeman? .

no, this was really a revival concert interspersed with straight to camera stuff from the Funk Brothers.

And you're right - why Martin Freeman?

postman

Legendary Member
It was pure Heaven.

Sheer brilliance.

The song What becomes of the broken hearted---- Outstanding.

Have googled to see if the cd is fior sale and it's out in two discs.

May have to put this on my ipod.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
dellzeqq said:
no, this was really a revival concert interspersed with straight to camera stuff from the Funk Brothers.

Oh, that's more like it. BTW, did you check out the link on my 'Soul!' thread? Afrotastic!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
All praise for the BBC!

D

Deleted member 1258

postman said:
It was pure Heaven.

Sheer brilliance.

The song What becomes of the broken hearted---- Outstanding.

Have googled to see if the cd is fior sale and it's out in two discs.

May have to put this on my ipod.

Seen some of it, thought it very good, brought back some memories. On my MP3 player I have Capital Gold Motown Classics, 62 tracks, 3 hours.

Top Bottom