Star-Trek 'Gadgets'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
I once read something about how virtually all modern technological inventions and gadgets had been “predicted” by sci-fi movies years earlier.

The one area that sci-fi didn’t really get was miniaturisation of electronics. They envisioned computers getting bigger and bigger (“a computer the size of a planet”) rather than getting smaller.

classic33

Leg End Member
I once read something about how virtually all modern technological inventions and gadgets had been “predicted” by sci-fi movies years earlier.

The one area that sci-fi didn’t really get was miniaturisation of electronics. They envisioned computers getting bigger and bigger (“a computer the size of a planet”) rather than getting smaller.
Wireless charging is thanks to Nikola Tesla, as is contactless payment using a card.

Babylon 5 predicted the contactless payment with their credit chips. Although the Centauri still use coins...

And you got the comms links that you stick on the back of your hand.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

An episode of Futurama got it right. When the crew visit Mars University, they see only two little CD-Roms in a vast hall, apparently the sum total of human knowledge!.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I was watching the old Arnie film - "The Running Man" the other night and I was surprised how accurately they predicted how crap TV would be in 2017

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Nobody has mentioned the obvious:

BTW, just to correct things like the good Trekkie nerd I am, the Enterprise is not powered by dilithium crystals - it's powered by deuterium matter/anti-matter fusion. Dilithium is a fictional substance that supposedly mediates the reaction, but deuterium is real.

T'Pau is not Spocks mum. She was called Amanda. T'pau was a Vulcan high priestess, also an 80's band.

Captain Kirk, in 79 episodes & 6 movies, never actually said 'Beam me up Scotty'...^_^.

The original filming miniature is still around:

https://www.thetrekcollective.com/2015/01/original-uss-enteprise-in-spacedock.html

BTW, just to correct things like the good Trekkie nerd I am, the Enterprise is not powered by dilithium crystals - it's powered by deuterium matter/anti-matter fusion. Dilithium is a fictional substance that supposedly mediates the reaction, but deuterium is real.

T'Pau is not Spocks mum. She was called Amanda. T'pau was a Vulcan high priestess, also an 80's band.

And, so is the DS9 station

Sadly, no-one ever said "Set Phasers to Stunning!", when confronted with Seven of Nine, or T'Pol

classic33

Leg End Member

Captain Kirk, in 79 episodes & 6 movies, never actually said 'Beam me up Scotty'...^_^.

https://www.thetrekcollective.com/2015/01/original-uss-enteprise-in-spacedock.html

Dilithium, fiction!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilithium

Top Bottom