Stars you feel are overrated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
ArDee said:
Isn't it a triple?; Alpha Centauri A, Alpha Centauri B & Proxima Centauri (or Alpha Centauri C)

Depends on how you define a system. My first message was based on how AC is seen as a single star but the brightness is actually 2 stars. In binary orbit to eachother.

Not AC-B and Proxima-Centuri MAY be in a binary type orbit. or Proxima may just be "passing through" the system. we may never truly know until either A, it starts moving round, or B it buggers off. We just dont know as its trajectory is a bit odd.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Rhythm Thief said:
Tracy Emin is arrogant and right up her own arse, which in my book is a bigger sin than simply being shite. Which I also think she is.

I agree, TBH i find most modern art shite. A messy bed, a tent. I read a great story about how a cleaner tidied up the messy bed exhibit as she thought someone had just had a party. Amazing.

Debian

Headgardener said:
Exept IMHO Billy Connolly who has turned swearing into an art form and when he's not on stage and is doing his touring programmes is quite good.

No... Billy Connolly is rubbish.

And again no.... if a comedian can't be "funny" without swearing or making reference to bodily functions then they simply aren't funny. Anyone who finds such "humour" humorous is more than a bit sad IMHO.

Debian said:

And again no.... if a comedian can't be "funny" without swearing or making reference to bodily functions then they simply aren't funny. Anyone who finds such "humour" humorous is more than a bit sad IMHO.

Swearing can be very funny indeed. But it has to be judiciously used - just saying "f*ck" all the time isn't funny - and Billy Connolly is (or at least, was) a master of this, believe it or not.
How did you get to be the benchmark for what everyone should find funny, by the way? I fancy a go at that job ... let me see ... anyone who finds, er, sitcoms humorous is more than a bit sad in my opinion.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Debian said:

Yeah, but face facts; you've got a lot to be H about. :biggrin:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Overrated stars;

Madonna
Elton John
Rod Stewart
David Bowie
Queen
U2 (especially that prat of a singer)
Leonardo Di Caprio
Nicholas Cage
Bob Marley

Edit; and I forgot Mariah bleeding Carey and Whitney Houston. And Ant and Dec (what are they for and does anybody know which is which) and that Harry Hill bloke and loads more ...

ASC1951

Guru
RyanW said:
I read a great story about how a cleaner tidied up the messy bed exhibit as she thought someone had just had a party. Amazing.
And completely untrue. It's an urban myth, which appears in the red tops after every Turner exhibition, whether it's bricks, wood a bed or whatever the reporter finds isn't paint on canvas.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Andy in Sig said:
Overrated stars;

Madonna
Elton John
Rod Stewart
David Bowie
Queen
U2 (especially that prat of a singer)
Leonardo Di Caprio
Nicholas Cage
Bob Marley

Edit; and I forgot Mariah bleeding Carey and Whitney Houston. And Ant and Dec (what are they for and does anybody know which is which) and that Harry Hill bloke and loads more ...

You've got some of those SERIOUSLY wrong but some of them (Carey/Houston/Madonna/Queen/U2/Nic Cage in particular) quite right.

Harry Hill is outSTANDing and someone we go to see on all his tours. Anyone who thinks he is unfunny is a bit unnormal and peculiar to some degree.

To think Bob Marley is over-rated is just plain daft.

Elton John, David Bowie and Rod Stewart all had their moments and unliking them is a loss in the aural quality of life.

Ant and Dec...well they are the latest in a line from Morecambe and Wise and Reeves and Mortimer. Best left alone, in my opinion.

longers

Legendary Member
ASC1951 said:
And completely untrue. It's an urban myth, which appears in the red tops after every Turner exhibition, whether it's bricks, wood a bed or whatever the reporter finds isn't paint on canvas.

Ah, I'd heard it said about the contents of a bin that got cleaned away and the nearest bin was used to remake the exhibit. Not true then?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
PaulB said:

But that's the point of thinking people are overrated. When I hear tracks like Jamming and Buffalo Soldier I just think "What a load of repetitive tosh". IMO BM has got sacred cow status. I would stack Junior Murvin's Police and Thieves against the whole of his output.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Rhythm Thief said:
Ah, now Led Zep really are overrated. They based a whole career on giving themselves the writing credits for traditional songs.

Agreed but there was potential there. I've got an obscure record of the Yardbirds live in 1969 (in New York I think) and they do a version of Dazed and Confused. If Jimmy Page could have persuaded yer man Relf to have been the singer in Led Zep or if he had just stuck with the Yardbirds and written all the Led Zep songs for them, things would have been infinitely better.

PaulB said:
Harry Hill is outSTANDing and someone we go to see on all his tours.

... whereas I'd sooner watch grass grow.

Oh, but he is. Sure, he was a reasonably competent musician, but not in the same league as, say Toots and the Maytalls.

... David Bowie and Rod Stewart all had their moments and unliking them is a loss in the aural quality of life.

Agreed, although if I'd never heard of Elton John the aural quality of my life would be improved no end.:laugh:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Andy in Sig said:
I would stack Junior Murvin's Police and Thieves against the whole of his output.

Nice one, I like that. But I'd put Lee 'Scratch' Perry ahead of anyone on the reggae field. In fact, in front of anyone in ANY field. There aren't enough trees in the whole world that could be pulped to produce enough paper to give righteous credit to that man.

Top Bottom