start 14 9 11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
start jogle 14 sept unsupported with 2 other guys, camping most of the way.1st attempt :biggrin:kind of gatecrashed the party as i asked ' can i join you blokes?'?? looking forward to it.

Rebel Ian

Good effort. How many days are you aiming for?

OP
OP
albal

albal

Guru
Hi . R Ian i am due back in work 3 oct. So around 15/16 days. Not sure on the route but am guessing the ctc hostal one. Riding the reconditioned 1989 Raliegh mirage.

Rebel Ian

15-16 days of riding will make it a brilliant ride. That's plenty of time to take it easy and enjoy the ride and scenery. Fortunately we were supported so I'm not sure where the CTC route takes you.

theloafer

Legendary Member
hi
i used the ctc yha route back in 1995 not sure if its still the same but mine was.... some have closed now btw
1=lands end
2=golant
3=steps bridge
4=street
5=welsh bicknor
6=clun mill
7=chester
8=slaidburn
9=carrock fell
10=wanlockhead
11=loch lomond
12=glencoe
13=loch ness
14=carbisdale castle
15=john o groats........... mileage was 1,137
lejog.jpg

Rebel Ian

hi
i used the ctc yha route back in 1995 not sure if its still the same but mine was.... some have closed now btw

15=john o groats........... mileage was 1,137
[attachment=5048:lejog.jpg]

1137.......:ohmy:

We didn't take the absolute straightest route but when we arrived at JoG my computer read a total mileage of 877.

shirokazan

Veteran
1137.......:ohmy:

We didn't take the absolute straightest route but when we arrived at JoG my computer read a total mileage of 877.

My route, which was similar to theloafer's but went via NCN7 from Loch Lomond to Inverness, was 1143 miles (as measured by my GPS). 877 miles sounds a fraction light - maybe your bike computer was under-reading a little? Most reports I've seen are in the 900-1000 miles range.

bgmackie

Regular
Also planning a camping LEJOG around mid september although, i had been looking to take a little longer, around 20 days.

The proposed route plan can be viewed on bikemap:

http://www.bikemap.net/user/bgmackie/routes#lat=50.06813&lng=-5.71838&zoom=15&type=2

Not sure if that might work with your route plan, but possibly see you on route somewhere!

Rebel Ian

My route, which was similar to theloafer's but went via NCN7 from Loch Lomond to Inverness, was 1143 miles (as measured by my GPS). 877 miles sounds a fraction light - maybe your bike computer was under-reading a little? Most reports I've seen are in the 900-1000 miles range.

Don't think it does - I've measured routes against the car odometer and they're identical and the mileage on our LEJoG was almost spot on what we mapped using bikehike and Bikely. We must have just taken a more direct route.

theloafer

Legendary Member
hi IAN
yes it was a little on the long side ..poss due to operator error with the map.. :laugh: on the 2 lejogs had a friend for company and he must have kept me right as mileage was 1,086 ...but we did detour left just after lairgs on the A 838 as we wanted to get cape wrath in while we in the area ...did not manage it though dam weather

lejog 001.jpg

OP
OP
albal

albal

Guru
Thanks guys, forecast not great for tue/wed , but what do they met blokes know?? told us August was gonna be balmy?!!
Big mackie_ May well see you en route. 3 of us , 1 with trailer. Have a good safe trip.
Q - Is the midgie situation that serious mid sept ??(if the wind s not blown them east??) last thing to pack will be pocket rocket which i use at work, as i'll be in on monday :angry:.

:hello:

C

chillyuk

I was in JOG on the 14th and having breakfast in the B&B I saw several riders go past who looked as if they were setting out for the big one. It was quite cold, windy and varying between drizzle and proper rain. All I could do was raise my coffee cup in admiration.

OP
OP
albal

albal

Guru
Update; day 15 and we are 10m east of south molton any onE know a faVourable route from here? MaTe HAs a knee proB. chilly; we lEfT jOG 1700hr 13 sept

Top Bottom