Starting to develop a dislike for A.M. joggers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
What if they aren't? What if they're just riding along in a straight line at a reasonable pace and they come across some knob dressed in all black at half 5 in the morning?

How is that the cyclist's fault?

If they're going at a reasonable pace for their lighting and the conditions, then by definition they won't hit someone, irrespective of what that person is wearing.

Is this thread for real, it's not some kind of wind up is it?

If it isn't, it's so dumb as to not be worth answering.

sabian92

Über Member
If they're going at a reasonable pace for their lighting and the conditions, then by definition they won't hit someone, irrespective of what that person is wearing.

Not so. Reasonable pace on a bike is a lot faster than a person jogs (or runs).

If you run in the dark with dark clothes then you deserve to be run over. How stupid can you be? If you drove a black car along an unlit road with no lights at 20mph, you would expect to be hit. How is that the other driver's fault?

Answer is - it isn't.

ohnovino

Large Member
If you're travelling quickly enough that you can't react in time to a hazard, then that's an unreasonable pace. Doesn't matter what number the speedo shows, or who's fault the hazard is.

dodd82

Finding some of the responses on here a little strange.

It's a fact, is it not, that if you're wearing dark clothing in the dark then you are difficult to see - whether you have a car headlight or a bike light.

I don't think you can blame a cyclist or motorist - people in dark clothing in the dark are hard to see... full stop!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

If you run in the dark with dark clothes then you deserve to be run over. How stupid can you be? If you drove a black car along an unlit road with no lights at 20mph, you would expect to be hit. How is that the other driver's fault?

Answer is - it isn't.

So if there was a tree fallen over on the route then would it be the tress fault or the cyclists if he hit it ? If the OP is unable to see hazards then they need better lights and to slow down.

dodd82

So if there was a tree fallen over on the route then would it be the tress fault or the cyclists if he hit it ? If the OP is unable to see hazards then they need better lights and to slow down.

For want of being pedantic, couldn't you argue it's the fault of those responsible for the upkeep of the path/road?

You make a fair point, but I can understand the alternative view also.

Answer is - it isn't.
Stop being a numpty.

400bhp

Guru
if a ped is coming from the opposite direction, what are the chances of the runner running into a ped?

Or another runner rather than a ped?

dodd82

May I offer a solution to this?

Aside from improving your lighting, I feel that a nice, loud singing of The Teddy Bears' Picnic should suffice. Altogether now:

If you go down to the woods today,
You're sure of a big surprise

The perfect warning for 'hidden' joggers and a joyful way to start or end your day.

davefb

Guru
when I was younger, it was "common ruddy sense" to make sure you got seen.. cue tv ads about wearing light clothes and having a newspaper ( okay so mainly relating to not being hit by cars)

nowadays it's "ITS MY RIGHT TO BE ALL NINJA LIKE"

sabian92

Über Member

That's a stationary object - a tree, for Christ's Sake. A tree cannot buy lights or reflective clothing, don't be pedantic.

Stop being a numpty.

I'm not. If somebody WILLIINGLY runs in the dark in black clothing then they're a dick.

Top Bottom