Starting to develop a dislike for A.M. joggers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
You cycle on the road, knowing that is it dangerous to be on the road without a heavy steel box round you. so if you’re daft enough to do that and someone runs into because SMiDSY it's your fault for willingly putting yourself in danger, and the conclusion must be the same.

without lights to be comparable.

sabian92

Über Member
I'm going to show myself the door as everybody apparently didn't take their blinkers off when they got out of bed this morning and you're picking holes where none are to be picked.

A deer is the same as a jogger? Really?

Morons.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Anyone answer this? In particular, 2 runners going in opposite directions.

In my experience running in the dark it does not take long for your eye sight to become accustomed to the light conditions and you can still see pretty well. Given that your moving speed is a lot less then I cannot see this being an issue.

green1

Über Member
I'm going to show myself the door as everybody apparently didn't take their blinkers off when they got out of bed this morning and you're picking holes where none are to be picked.

Morons.
Ok, jog on.

dodd82

Morons.

wooooooo :smile:

So anyone that disagrees with your opinion must be wrong.

It always amazes me why people like you use a forum. Is it to preach?

Reactions: 4F

400bhp

Guru
Graham & 4f - I honestly don't know as i've never been in that position.

If it's small then I guess as a default then to be seen whilst running is not an issue.

I guess if you do wear stuff to be seen then that makes you relatively more considerate?

There's a guy i come across when commuting in that walks his dogs on a field that has a shared use path. He has put flashing led's on the dog's collars. Great idea. This makes him a considerate person. Does this mean that those dog walkers that don't put LED's on their dogs less considerate? Yes, relatively speaking, but not inconsiderate.

trsleigh

I'm of the opinion that if you go out at night in dark clothing in an unlit area you deserve what happens to you.

How sodding stupid do you have to be? If you jog regularly then you know the paths you use are either empty or have other traffic on it. If it has nothing on it, then fine. If it has other stuff on it the onus is on you to make yourself visible (like everybody else, might I add). If you don't then you have no right to moan about getting stick for it.

I see far too many people in black clothes at night and I do wonder when Darwin will catch up with them.

The CTC were on the right track in the thiries when they campaigned against rear lights for cyclists
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2009/dec/14/cycling-ethical-living
Quote "At the time CTC was also still fighting to prevent regulations that would, eventually, force cyclists to use rear red lights. CTC believed that cars should at night be obliged to travel at a speed which would enable them to stop should they encounter another user in the road – it should be their responsibility to notice the unlit road user, not the responsibility of the cyclist or pedestrian to carry a light."

So substitute bicycles for cars and joggers for cyclists and here we are 75 years later arguing that the innocent party should be the one to take action.:sad:

sabian92

Über Member
Ok, jog on.

:rolleyes:
wooooooo :smile:
So anyone that disagrees with your opinion must be wrong.
It always amazes me why people like you use a forum. Is it to preach?
I'm not preaching or saying anybody else is wrong, what I'm saying is you can't compare a tree or a deer to a person. You may as well compare a car to an alarm clock. A deer or a tree can't wear hi-viz clothing. That's just mental, just as suggesting they should buy them. Why not say cats need indicators and dogs need reversing lights?

The CTC were on the right track in the thiries when they campaigned against rear lights for cyclists
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2009/dec/14/cycling-ethical-living
Quote "At the time CTC was also still fighting to prevent regulations that would, eventually, force cyclists to use rear red lights. CTC believed that cars should at night be obliged to travel at a speed which would enable them to stop should they encounter another user in the road – it should be their responsibility to notice the unlit road user, not the responsibility of the cyclist or pedestrian to carry a light."

So substitute bicycles for cars and joggers for cyclists and here we are 75 years later arguing that the innocent party should be the one to take action.:sad:

A cyclist isn't likely to kill a person. It happens, sure, but far less often than cars killing cyclists.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Anyone answer this? In particular, 2 runners going in opposite directions.
If there's enough light to be able to follow a path and not trip over your own feet, theres usually enough to see other runners and sometimes hear them approaching in my experience. I can't imagine anyone actually running in pitch black darkness though, you'd not be able to follow the path and have no confidence to build any speed up.

400bhp

Guru
If there's enough light to be able to follow a path and not trip over your own feet, theres usually enough to see other runners and sometimes hear them approaching in my experience. I can't imagine anyone actually running in pitch black darkness though, you'd not be able to follow the path and have no confidence to build any speed up.

I thought that was the situation we were discussing?

tadpole

In a former life I ran, and ran alot at night, and given a few minutes in the darkness, my eyes were able to adjust to the point where even the light from a quarter moon would be enough to run 5 miles along a unlit track along side a quarry. It was a well used track, used by runners, cyclist, as well as dog walkers and couples. I can say that I've never "run into" anyone. Cyclists make more noise than runner, even runners make a pant pant flap flap noise, loud enought that you can spot and avoid them when you're 20 or 30 feet away. Dog walkers or their waterproof jackets tend to make a noise like a crisp packet, and dogs claws on the ground make a click click noise. If you are paying attention you can see dark on dark movement solely becasue it is moving. However you have to be paying attention... and that is the key.

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom