Starting to develop a dislike for A.M. joggers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham

Graham & 4f - I honestly don't know as i've never been in that position.

If it's small then I guess as a default then to be seen whilst running is not an issue.

I guess if you do wear stuff to be seen then that makes you relatively more considerate?

There's a guy i come across when commuting in that walks his dogs on a field that has a shared use path. He has put flashing led's on the dog's collars. Great idea. This makes him a considerate person. Does this mean that those dog walkers that don't put LED's on their dogs less considerate? Yes, relatively speaking, but not inconsiderate.

Sorry, I was being a bit of clever d*(ck - First glance at your post suggested to me they were running in opposite directions away from eachother. Hope this guy hasn't got too many dogs - Field full of flashing LEDs would be a bit trippy!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Can I just remind everyone of the Cyclechat family motto " A fun and friendly online cycling community"

Spot on, I feel the mods should have dived in here rather sooner, personally, because name calling always makes your argument more convincing. (That wasn't aimed at you, Peter, I totally agree with your post).

400bhp

Guru
Sorry, I was being a bit of clever d*(ck - First glance at your post suggested to me they were running in opposite directions away from eachother. Hope this guy hasn't got too many dogs - Field full of flashing LEDs would be a bit trippy!

It was very odd seeing flashing things moving randomly across an open field. He has 2 dogs. I think it's great!^_^

dodd82

:rolleyes:

I'm not preaching or saying anybody else is wrong, what I'm saying is you can't compare a tree or a deer to a person. You may as well compare a car to an alarm clock. A deer or a tree can't wear hi-viz clothing. That's just mental, just as suggesting they should buy them. Why not say cats need indicators and dogs need reversing lights?

Come on - I think they're just trying to make a point.

No need to call people morons.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I thought that was the situation we were discussing?
Yeah, my experience is much like tadpole's, if people have enough light to run along the trail they have enough to avoid people if theyre paying attention. I was just suggesting that if it were really that "pitch black" they wouldnt be able to follow the path to run.

Although a super bright headlamp may be the answer, they are also a problem IMO. I have many a folk ride past me that use such a light and I can say from my experience it's just as dangerous as no light. Perhaps it's the way they are aimed but as they approach me it's like having a searchlight shone in my face and it blinds me , so I end up having to squint and see nothing. Most times I have to pull over and stop until they pass me then get back on my way. Either that or risk riding off an embankment.

If I'm a cyclist wearing ninja clothing at night and don't have lights and I get hit by a car I can't complain that it's the driver's fault; if a jogger running down an unlit shared cycle path gets hit by a cyclist then (s)he must accept that they should do what they can to be seen. As for the Sheldon not seeing them automatically implying that he's going to fast argument - just when do you think you'd see an unlit jogger in the pitch black? Not until you're darn close is what I'm thinking.
And the thing to also consider is that you are in motion towards the jogger, vices- versa, so they come up on you pretty quickly.

Maz

Guru
To Whom It May Concern,
I find the title of this thread most offensive and a slur upon my good character. I shall be seeking redress through legal proceedings.
Regards
A.M.Joggers, Esq.

dodd82

To Whom It May Concern,
I find the content of this thread most offensive and a slur upon my good character. I shall be seeking redress through legal proceedings.
Regards
F.Allen-Trees, Esq.

Reactions: Maz
so are we now advocating that pedestrians on a shared path must use lights and wear hi-viz so the cyclists don't have to alter their behaviour on jot to deal with them. What about helmets? What do these people think they are doing just running and walking about? Are they insane?

Change the roles, replace cyclist with driver and pedestrian with cyclist and think of your local shared use road, and start the whole thing off with 'I try to be a safe driver'

GET A GRIP PEOPLE; GET A GRIP.
No, I think we are saying that pedestrians must alter there behavior in the dark. Or start using common sense and practice better safety.

I guarantee you these same joggers wouldn't walk alongside a roadway at night without lighting or reflective clothing. Should it be any different on a shared pathway that cyclists use?

By his own words we know that is not true,

Riding too fast in bad conditions dispaite know it is an area prone to fog, so both visibility is compromised as is the ability to stop.

Not the first time he’s nearly run down someone at speed.
So he knows there are people about and still rides at an inappropriate speed.
The onus is on the person who 'approaches the danger' to take avoiding actions, and knowing that there is the possibility of a dangerous condition up a head, it is your responsibility to avoid it by anticipation, planning, preparation, learning and evaluation.
I said I come up on people in a hurry, which mean they just appear. I also said my speed is 15km/h. How much slower do you people want, should I walk my bike? Better yet jog?

tadpole

I guarantee you these same joggers wouldn't walk alongside a roadway at night without lighting or reflective clothing. Should it be any different on a shared pathway that cyclists use?
Misleading argument
Just because it is unsafe to walk down a dark road with hundreds of cars travelling at speed, does not mean that the same activity i.e. walking is unsafe when walking down a pavement or shared path where there are no cars.

I said I come up on people in a hurry, which mean they just appear. I also said my speed is 15km/h. How much slower do you people want, should I walk my bike? Better yet jog?
Slow enough to spot danger or a fellow path occupant, or get better lights.

If the OP cannot see obstacles in his path whether they are stationary or moving then clearly he either has insufficient lights or is riding too fast for the conditions. I note fog was also mentioned so my guessing is on the latter.
I can see well enough to avoid a huge pile of horsecrap on the ride yesterday a.m. I can also see runners off in the distance with reflective shoes or clothing quite easily. Dressed in all black is a bit harder.

Top Bottom