Starting to develop a dislike for A.M. joggers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
So what if there was a bollard installed in the way, a bin fallen over. End of the day, you ride at a speed where you can stop in the space you can see. If pedestrians can be there and they don't have to use lights or reflectives - you know that. Ride appropriately.

J.Primus

You seem to think you're pretty intelligent, Google it.

From the BC Bikesense website that seems to inform most of it's advice from BC law

http://www.bikesense.bc.ca/Bike_Sense-Nov05.pdf

Riding on multi-use paths
Except for street crossings, paths are safe from car/bicycle collisions, and you don't have to endure the noise and pollution. However, other users, such as joggers, skaters, children, pets and pedestrians in general, often act unpredictably, and a cyclist maintaining a high speed can be a danger on such a path. Therefore, cyclists who want to travel quickly might opt to use roadways rather than heavily used paths. Remember that you are sharing the path with others. Reduce your speed where appropriate and when passing other path users, ring your bell or call out (e.g. 'passing on your left') to alert them. Helmets are required on multi-use paths and some paths may post speed limits. Respect user regulations for these facilities.

Can't see anything about any obligations for pedestrians on shared pathways unless you have a link for law that disagrees with this.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I can see well enough to avoid a huge pile of horsecrap on the ride yesterday a.m. I can also see runners off in the distance with reflective shoes or clothing quite easily. Dressed in all black is a bit harder.

Eat more carrots, get better lights, and slow down. You won't have so many collisions and near misses any more. ;)

J.Primus

There are some lovely shared paths next to the canals in North London near where I live, however I have to cycle so slowly to be safe on them that I don't bother as I might as well walk (which I often do).

That doesn't stop other cyclists zooming along inconsiderately like the pedestrians should be getting out of the way to let them past. Always ticks me off as I feel it makes cyclists in general look bad by association.

The way I see it a shared path is a pedestrian area that cyclists are permitted to use considerately, not the other way round.

Trail Child

From the BC Bikesense website that seems to inform most of it's advice from BC law

http://www.bikesense.bc.ca/Bike_Sense-Nov05.pdf

Can't see anything about any obligations for pedestrians on shared pathways unless you have a link for law that disagrees with this.
The same exists here in Ottawa:

http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/places-to-visit/parks-paths/courtesy-safety-capital-pathway

Highlight: max speed is 20 km/hr and to yield to pedestrians at all times. Faster cyclists are to use roadways.

Herbie

Veteran
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yes it's you, you say you try to be a safe rider, but it's not only your own safety you have to think of but that of other path/road users you may meet on your journey. Particular care is required on paths shared by cyclists and people on foot.
Get yourself a decent front light that will illuminate hazards ahead and adjust your speed to match the weather, light conditions and other traffic.
You deserved to get an earful from the jogger, her behaviour was understandable in the situation you describe.
You admit to three instances of near collision with a jogger....how many repeats will it take before you realise you are cycling recklessly?
Joggers are under no obligation to wear lighting and it's a bit bold of you to question the intelligence of joggers in general.
Be a more considerate cyclist, you could be giving the rest of us a bad name..

Here Here....good points well put

Herbie

Veteran
On 'Runners Forum' a lot of joggers wear head torches and flashing armbands. It makes sense to be as visible as possible when your in poor light or fog, it helps to stop you getting knocked down.

Guess some people think that they have no responsibility for there own safety:wacko:. I wear one of these, one click gives a single red beam, two clicks gives a double white beam, it's bright and saves me from stepping in poopxx(.

ring-led-cyba-lite-clipz-led-mini-clip-light-%7E-ref-rt5139--new-model-.jpg
Cyba-lite-Clipz_2.jpg

This is a cool light...i want one...where do you get them?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm of the opinion that if you go out at night in dark clothing in an unlit area you deserve what happens to you.
a good too many drivers are of the opinion, and the judiciary, via sentencing policy, seem to think along the same lines... if you go out on a bicycle on an unlit/lit/NSL/dual carriageway road you deserve what happens to you. Death or serious injury.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Just read through this thread from where I left off this morning. Why oh why do people have to resort to insults? I think it's really healthy discussing things like this - seeing things from another's point of view. And there's some fun to be had too! But calling people who don't share your opinion "morons" or whatever is simply not on. Me wonders if such people behave like that on the road too?

Oldspice

Jeez, what is it with people who are so fixated about starting an argument too prove what they say has to be right. I am on Sheldons side with this.

For the life of me i can't see how a shared path compares to being in the woods and as for telling the chap that they need more lights:banghead: If the jogger can not see the lights that are already on the bike what makes you think dressing the bike up like wembly stadium will make any difference.

Some people in life are just numptys:dry: like cycle ninjas you have jogger ninjas.

400bhp

Guru
Just read through this thread from where I left off this morning. Why oh why do people have to resort to insults? I think it's really healthy discussing things like this - seeing things from another's point of view. And there's some fun to be had too! But calling people who don't share your opinion "morons" or whatever is simply not on. Me wonders if such people behave like that on the road too?

^^this^^

Some people cannot accept debate:rolleyes:

al78

Guru

It appears to me to be to do with the human utopia of freedom without responsibility, and debates like this seem to stem around attempting to get as close as possible to this utopia by advocating maximal responsibility on other people, whilst simultaneously attempting to minimize personal responsibility.

Personally I think you only need one guideline, and that is be thoughtful and considerate to others, and this is independent of the mode of transport (or anything else for that matter). I strongly suspect societies where people are thoughtful and considerate to others (i.e a strong community spirit), as opposed to the increasingly selfish, insular society that the UK is turning into, have a better quality of life overall.

boydj

Legendary Member
My first thought when I read this is "Are you for real?" Then I realized you must also be a jogger.......

To make the assumption by reading my post that I must have inadequate lighting or as you say " am riding recklessly" is an unintelligent assumption. Therefore I'll assume, from you're post, that you are rationally challenged and speak before you think.

And to say that I'm giving cyclists a bad name??? Since you're the Uber member, I'll bow before you in shame. Be kinda hard though while you're sitting way up there on your high horse.

Lastly, in your part of the world things may be different, but in my neck of the woods joggers ARE responsible to wear lighting and reflective material. You'd think it would be a common sense issue, but once again in your part of the world maybe there is no such thing as common sense ????

I think you have to accept things are not going to change and ride accordingly. Moaning about it on a cycling forum will do nothing for your safety, or that of the joggers - though it has polarised opinions on here somewhat!

Top Bottom