Statins often little use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Dad is knocking on a bit and has to have regular medicals for his pilots license. His cholesterol and BP were a touch high, and the doc offered statins for the latter.

Instead my Dad just lost a little weight and started doing gentle exercise. Next medical both numbers were bang on target. He required neither the statins, or a doctor to tell him the obvious.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think mine are a bit high despite exercise and diet. Will see how they go. Just started with plant sterol tablets as won't get to collect statins till next week (our chemist orders my other prescription I've been on for three years every time, never in stock).

a.twiddler

Veteran
I've been on statins since 2012. They lowered my LDL level quite well and I don't have any side effects. I'm neutral/satisfied.
I've been on statins even longer than that -since 2002 when my blood pressure was found to be astronomical. Fortunately with the use of BP medication and statins my BP and cholesterol have been in the low normal range for years. I have been able to live a normal life, indulge in my chosen activities, and work past my retirement age. I would likely be dead or disabled by now if not for this pharmacological intervention. That said, once the initial problem was sorted out, I have been on a relatively low dose since. I can report that I have had no side effects. You should not forget that there are a number of different statins -if one does not agree with you, others can be tried. I do miss the grapefruit juice in the morning though.

Top Bottom