Statues are boring.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Fair enough. I suppose what I mean is that his work always seems to me to be about him in some way, whereas I think Hambling's work shows no ego at all. I have tried to like the Angel of the North, honest, but I just can't; I think it's a real clunker.
Gormley uses a stylised version of his own body as a template - but it's not about him. It's an unremarkable everyday human figure, so his work is always about all of us.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I think Gormley sculpture in the crypt of Winchester Cathedral has a tremendous presence, especially when the crypt is partially flooded.
gormley2.jpg

Although I prefer the Elisabeth Frink near the Westgate, ready for the christmas party here....

standalone

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ok - you have persuaded me! When I am fit enough, I will organise a forum ride to Morecambe sea front to check it out. I have devised a good circular route from Whalley which will be the 3rd of my 'flattish seaside century' rides, the other 2 of which were very popular. If possible, it will be the first weekend in April next year.

There's a FNRttC next year, Manchester - Morecambe.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's a FNRttC next year, Manchester - Morecambe.
True, but ...
  • I am not really in to riding at night
  • I am really not in to riding in large towns and cities. (I will make an exception for Lancaster and Morecambe because I know there are good quality cycle paths in and out, and I want to go to the seaside!)
  • I want to do a century ride
  • I want to do the Trough of Bowland and Jubilee Tower climbs again. (After those 2 biggish climbs, there would be about 60 miles of downhill and flat riding before a slightly lumpy finish.)

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
have to be careful of the wash from container ships tho' as the port is right next to the beach where the statues are
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, there is definitely no "wash" on Crosby beach from the multitude of shipping that comes into Liverpool docks. The beach is flat, and unless it is a stormy day, the waves are tiny...even when the Queen Elizabeth came to Liverpool there was no wash..

classic33

Leg End Member
Looks like the Grim Reaper on his lunch break.
Not me!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
[QUOTE 3055223, member: 45"]Thomas Attwood, Chamberlain Square, Birmingham.[/QUOTE]
I like the way it is posed - statues like that are far more interesting than the standard 'on a pedestal' type!

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
On the subject of public sculptures made out of bits of metal, there's a series of slabs of inch thick steel in Coventry that show where the buildings in one street used to be before the Coventry Blitz. I find it rather thought provoking.

Morecambe also has this statue on the seafront:
View attachment 34204

This used to annoy me no end when I cycled past it - unless that baby has core muscles of steel, and similarly the woman's arms and shoulders, the only way that kind of pose can be held is if you are swinging the brat around. Which you cannot do with your bum on the ground like that.

Pendant? Moi?

[Edit - yes, I know now I've made a cock-up there]

There was a mini scandal about that. Can't remember the detail but it went something like the statue wasn't commissioned but loaned to the council for x years. When the years ran out the artist put in a something like £36k bill if they wanted to buy it. I dont think the council paid it but it is still there. I may not have the exact details but there was a big bill from the artist after it was there a few years. I think the council basically refused to pay and the artist would have to remove it. The artist hasn't been paid and it hasn't been removed. It is however not a popular statue for visitors or kids to climb on. I mean it's very rounded and slippy.

Top Bottom