Staying Dry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Hello.
I ride a Kona Dew Hybrid for commuting and recreational purposes.
I live near the seafront in Swansea which is a great place right on the edge of the Gower Peninsula.
Trouble is we get rain, lots of it and winds.
I don't mind this. In fact, sometimes I prefer it as there are significantly less people about when the heavens open.
I have been on a quest for the last few years to find a solution to staying dry when out cycling, even in really bad rain.
Recently, I have bought some Shimano Clipped in pedals although they are only clipped in on one side.
My rationale for this is that you can only really wear waterproof shoe covers with clipped in pedals as my old platforms with studs would just gouge the material.
This way, I can wear my normal 5/10 trainers when it is dry and my Shimano clipped in compatible trainers and Altura Attack hefty shoe covers when it is raining...so that's the feet sorted!
Gloves..got some great Sealskinz and Pearl Izumis, easy.

For my legs, I have recently bought some Berghaus Paclite Gore-Tex overtrousers. These are great but I fear the saddle area will wear out after not many rides, so I need some advice on what to wear over the overtrousers in the saddle area so as to be A. Waterproof and B. Reasonably hard wearing. (I wear running tights underneath; these are fine)
On top, I have tried all the Alturas, Berghaus, Marmot Pre-Cip etc..all liars..you get wet if it is bad out there after not long.
Recently I found a company called Outdoor Research by way of an outdoor stuff review site which raved about their Foray Jacket.
Came out on top of this labs test:-
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Rain-Jacket-Reviews

Duly paid £93 for it, walked the dog yesterday for 30 minutes in quite bad rain, came home, wet on the inside, even with Gore-Tex..liars again and no, it wasn't sweat, we weren't walking fast enough.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Waterproof shoes or boots are OK but never go high enough to allow your rainpants to drain over the top.
Sealskinz socks work well.
I use Montaine DT Atomic rainpants and in winter, Paramo on top.
Goretex suffers from condensation in warm, wet conditions. Where outside humidity is 100% is stops being permeable. Goretex works best in sub-zero desert regions such as Antarctica or Mt Everest but mild, damp summers can overwhelm it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I don't worry unduly about staying dry whilst cycling. The windproof fleece type tops, and bib-longs (tights so called) are such that your own heat tends to keep you dry and warm on the inside, even though they aren't per se waterproof, though are water resistant to a degree. Cycling is a different need from standing out in the rain when keeping properly dry is more important.

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Any solutions for when it is really coming down and you are going to be out for around 90 minutes?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My rationale for this is that you can only really wear waterproof shoe covers with clipped in pedals as my old platforms with studs would just gouge the material.
Covers work fine with rubber pedals. The problems with recessed-clipless trainers in wet weather is that water is pushed into the sole along the screws by hydraulic action when you walk in them.

For my legs, I have recently bought some Berghaus Paclite Gore-Tex overtrousers. These are great but I fear the saddle area will wear out after not many rides, so I need some advice on what to wear over the overtrousers in the saddle area so as to be A. Waterproof and B. Reasonably hard wearing. (I wear running tights underneath; these are fine)
I use rainlegs with a jacket. They don't cover the saddle area so won't wear out there.

I've bought a cape again to try. It's much lighter than the ones I used to wear decades ago but it's not rained yet to test it.

WelshJon

Also from Swansea and I feel your pain. My tactic however is to stay warm and not worry about getting wet. Anything that keeps the rain out will keep the sweat in so don't waste a fortune of experimenting with new kit.
The best addition I've made is a sealskinz cap to keep the rain from my face. Mudguards are essential through winter

Brandane

Legendary Member
Any solutions for when it is really coming down and you are going to be out for around 90 minutes?
No. After 34 years of motorcycling, I have yet to find any gear that is truly 100% waterproof. And that's with manufacturers who don't have to concern themselves too much with the garment weight.
For cycling, the only solution I have found is to make sure that you are going at it hard enough so that you can't tell the difference between rain and sweat. Or avoid riding in the rain, which is my preference. It does cut down your cycling opportunities fairly drastically if you live in the west of the UK, but so be it.

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.
I use mudguards all year round because of the sand down the seafront, keep a fair bit off.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Deployment of wet weather gear is a consideration, unless you set out fully kitted.

I have trouble pulling on over-trousers outside, unless there's something to lean on.

In that respect, I'm pleased with my rainlegs which can be put on quickly anywhere.

http://www.rainlegs.com/en/home

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom