Staying Dry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Can't say as I've noticed. :whistle:

Welcome to CC. I don't know which way you go on your commute, but when there's a lot of rain I find the biggest difference in staying dry comes from using the road as opposed to the foreshore path. Your drivetrain will thank you for this too. Other than that I use overshoes if it's very wet, keep some old newspaper at work to stuff wet shoes, and carry a change of socks. I find overtrousers too hot for anything above zero. My Montane Featherlight Velo is the only jacket I've ever had which is substantially waterproof without being too hot, but it's old and doesn't work so well any more.
My 'commute' if you can call it that is only 1.33 miles each way.
I cycle for pleasure and quite enjoy my battle with the elements when it does come down.
I enjoy the foreshore cycle path emptying out when it rains and also the bits of road I go on empty of roadies as they tend to go back in the garage on their turbos for the winter, almost like squirrels hibernating!

Reactions: mjr

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Quite often, usually at least twice a week and extend to the Gower when I have time. (On hols right now so went through Murton/Kittle and past the airport and down Clyne valley..nice ride)
Sorry @snertos999 I was directing that question at @mjr. I love the foreshore path when it's been dry but as it has no drainage and massive sand drifts it can be about as good for your drivetrain and dry feet as riding through the surf. Which is why I take to the road in heavy rain and emerge drier with a cleaner bike. I often divert via the airport on the way to work if it's nice weather, going via Hen Parc Lane and Killay and then bombing into town downhill more or less all the way from Olchfa.

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Sorry @snertos999 I was directing that question at @mjr. I love the foreshore path when it's been dry but as it has no drainage and massive sand drifts it can be about as good for your drivetrain and dry feet as riding through the surf. Which is why I take to the road in heavy rain and emerge drier with a cleaner bike. I often divert via the airport on the way to work if it's nice weather, going via Hen Parc Lane and Killay and then bombing into town downhill more or less all the way from Olchfa.
Yes a really nice run. Got up to 35mph down Killay hill earlier today, not bad for a 17 stone bloke on a Kona Hybrid although the weight probably helped!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How often do you ride the Swansea foreshore path between Mumbles and the city?
Never but I used to ride along the Somerset coast opposite you. Not saying the foreshore path is the best route but the roads are not without a different sort of problems. Or do Swansea roads suddenly empty of motorists when it rains?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A mate of mine has some spd sandals which he uses in the rain.

He reckons - unless it's very cold - it's better to accept wet feet and take advantage of the faster drying of the sandals.
Insert placeholder for photo of @User in SPD sandals and stylish orange waterproof socks. Inflation means they'd now cost him 10p the pair instead of being free.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Someone mentioned gloves in winter. I bought a set of military overmitts off e bay a few years ago and they are great. You wear your winter gloves underneath. I even wear them on the motorbike and my hands dont get wet.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Never but I used to ride along the Somerset coast opposite you. Not saying the foreshore path is the best route but the roads are not without a different sort of problems. Or do Swansea roads suddenly empty of motorists when it rains?
:rolleyes: The thread is about staying dry. The lack of drainage on the foreshore path is an issue. In other respects the path is lovely. It's a high quality public space - a linear park, not really much to do with cycling infrastructure, which is as duff is Swansea as it is everywhere.

cwrwcwrw

:rolleyes: The thread is about staying dry. The lack of drainage on the foreshore path is an issue. In other respects the path is lovely. It's a high quality public space - a linear park, not really much to do with cycling infrastructure, which is as duff is Swansea as it is everywhere.
I luuurve Ground Effect gear (made in NZ with similar wet weather to Wales) but left my Storm Trooper shell jacket on a train journey with TheClaud last year. Cant afford to replace it as they are now £170 and the rain protection only stated to wear down after 9 years. I too use the same coastal path and (a bit SM I admit) used to cover my cycling shoes with cling film then put overshoes over that; when you clipped in the cling film split over that part, and water did get in around that hole eventually but it kept the shoes drier than just using overshoes alone.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I luuurve Ground Effect gear (made in NZ with similar wet weather to Wales) but left my Storm Trooper shell jacket on a train journey with TheClaud last year. Cant afford to replace it as they are now £170 and the rain protection only stated to wear down after 9 years. I too use the same coastal path and (a bit SM I admit) used to cover my cycling shoes with cling film then put overshoes over that; when you clipped in the cling film split over that part, and water did get in around that hole eventually but it kept the shoes drier than just using overshoes alone.
I might try the cling film thing if the weather goes on like this.
Welcome to CC! Check out the cwrw thread by yer: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/beer.10335/page-1055

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 4567002, member: 9609"]I once tried plastic bags over my socks in some leaky old hillwalking boots - at the end of the day my feet resembled boil-in-the-bag-chicken just out of the fridge.[/QUOTE]
Yebbut there's a bit of a difference between 20 miles of hillwalking a five-mile zip into the office.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 4567011, member: 9609"]It is a perfectly good solution or short periods- I have plastic bags to put over my gloves and they work perfectly for a 20 minute shower. But I will never forget the look of my feet after being bagged up for maybe 14 hours on a cold wet west highland day. - yuk.[/QUOTE]
This thread is just fine without pics...

Reactions: mjr

edrobbin

Regular
My commute is rarely more than 25 mins, so I don't even try and stay dry. Never found any product that is waterproof and breathes. I am thinking about overshoes though, as I don't think boil in the bag feet will be too much of an issue

al78

Guru
Any solutions for when it is really coming down and you are going to be out for around 90 minutes?

If it is an option, don't bother going out.

If it is an option, use the car or public transport.

If you have to cycle, wear clothes that are wicking and repel water. Lycra trousers do this well and are comfortable to wear even in the worst of downpours. A wicking base layer (which can be found in any outdoor pursit or bike shop) will help avoid the clammy feeling of sweaty clothes next to skin. A waterproof jacket helps to an extent for short journeys but the rain will ultimately find its way in (usually by running down your head and between your neck and the collar). As for footware, you can get waterproof socks which help a lot in terms of comfort when wet. Ultimately if it really coming down and you are out for 90 minutes you will get wet, you have to optimise comfort by wearing optimal clothing which is comfortable to wear when wet (i.e. materials that repel water instead of absorbing it), and remember that no matter how bad it gets, it is only temporary and you will get home relatively soon and be able to change into dry clothing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If it is an option, don't bother going out.
:laugh: Is it an option to take a day off work because it's raining, @snertos999?

If it is an option, use the car or public transport.
Use the car because fark everyone else: your dryness is more important than clean air? (I don't comment on public transport as I usually end up combining that with cycling to make it work.)

Ultimately if it really coming down and you are out for 90 minutes you will get wet,
I think 90 minutes is within the capabilities of sub-£50 modern rain gear as long as it's not hurling it for all of that and you're not expecting to sprint along like in dry conditions.

remember that no matter how bad it gets, it is only temporary and you will get home relatively soon and be able to change into dry clothing.
Unless you're commuting and going from there to another appointment and then out for the evening. Lycra trousers and waterproof socks aren't great workwear either, but I guess it depends on your line of work ;)

Top Bottom