Staying Dry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
My tips which is pretty obvious is if you are commuting or travelling and not just out for a spin before going home is to try and either have something dry to wear home so dry kit at your destination or the ability to dry your wet clothes.

My commute is generally not too long, about 30 minutes to my mothers house and most of the time I can dry my kit by the evening although gloves are a problem in winter. Occasionally I will commute futther 90 minutes to work and although we have a changing room and a "drying room" it is frankly pathetic. A few months ago I got totally soaked in what was best described as a rain storm all the way to work. When leaving I had to put on wet socks and although my tights jersey and jacket where all dry (being lycra and light weigh) the shammi pad was still damp.

I can handle the rain but after a long day at work and the thought of a 90 minute ride home putting on wet socks and tights is thoroughly depressing.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Have a word with @theclaud who is also a local.

This. Not light, but effective. With a Carradice Cape Roll mine lives on my Brompton

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Have a word with @theclaud who is also a local.

This. Not light, but effective. With a Carradice Cape Roll mine lives on my Brompton
That's a bit disturbing. The model has feet but no head
20131207133131-large-1-338.jpg

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Trouble is we get rain, lots of it and winds.
Can't say as I've noticed. :whistle:

Welcome to CC. I don't know which way you go on your commute, but when there's a lot of rain I find the biggest difference in staying dry comes from using the road as opposed to the foreshore path. Your drivetrain will thank you for this too. Other than that I use overshoes if it's very wet, keep some old newspaper at work to stuff wet shoes, and carry a change of socks. I find overtrousers too hot for anything above zero. My Montane Featherlight Velo is the only jacket I've ever had which is substantially waterproof without being too hot, but it's old and doesn't work so well any more.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Any solutions for when it is really coming down and you are going to be out for around 90 minutes?

I'm in love with my Paramo Velez Light Smock for keeping me both dry and warm over the widest range of conditions. As it's non-cycle specific the investment is spread over several functions.
Being warm is better than dry. The Paramo does both. On a very warm wet day the venting is pretty good and I used it for touring this summer in the outer hebrides where it paid for itself in spades!

28481587061_dec7a227a7_z.jpg

I have a lightweight for fast summer runs which barely keeps the water out, but keeps the wind chill at bay and dries quickly. Summer rain's not so bad anyhow.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A mate of mine has some spd sandals which he uses in the rain.

He reckons - unless it's very cold - it's better to accept wet feet and take advantage of the faster drying of the sandals.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't know which way you go on your commute, but when there's a lot of rain I find the biggest difference in staying dry comes from using the road as opposed to the foreshore path.
Conversely, I find the best move is to spend as much time away from major roads (whether using minor roads or tracks) and the naffing motorists who kick up obscene amounts of naffing water and some of whom delight in trying to sluice it towards any cyclists they see. :cursing:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Warm and wet is the answer, so overshoes, windproof top, enough base layers to keep warm and roubaix tights if its cold, oh and decent gloves and cap or buff or summat for the noggin

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Conversely, I find the best move is to spend as much time away from major roads (whether using minor roads or tracks) and the naffing motorists who kick up obscene amounts of naffing water and some of whom delight in trying to sluice it towards any cyclists they see. :cursing:
How often do you ride the Swansea foreshore path between Mumbles and the city?

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
How often do you ride the Swansea foreshore path between Mumbles and the city?
Quite often, usually at least twice a week and extend to the Gower when I have time. (On hols right now so went through Murton/Kittle and past the airport and down Clyne valley..nice ride)