Staying local

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CentralCommuter

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but what does ‘staying local’ mean?
Can I cycle 50 miles in a loop but not in a straight line (cause then I’d be 50 miles away from my house!)

Please advise

Nobody knows.
British Cycling have repeatedly asked HMG for clarification, and HMG have repeatedly refused to give an answer.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but what does ‘staying local’ mean?
Can I cycle 50 miles in a loop but not in a straight line (cause then I’d be 50 miles away from my house!)

Please advise
I think Boris might prefer you circling your house 100 times, but it ain't going to happen. No one is going to question a cyclist on a long ride surely?

There's nothing in the legislation that limits the distance you can travel either to do exercise, or during exercise - so "staying local" is not a legally enforceable rule, it's just guidance.

So just use your common sense.

For me that means cycling the distance I normally would, without trying anything heroic.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
All it says is that exercising should be done locally. I thought that would mean you could make a route that goes say no more than 5 or 6 miles away from your home, but you could do that route as much and as far as you wanted. There was no set mileage or time imposed.

OP
OP
C

CentralCommuter

Cheers everybody. I’ll do a loop so that I’m never more than 10 or 15 miles away from home but can do about 50. Not even sure that makes mathematical sense.

There's an article on BBC news tonight about it.

Just use your common sense. If you've done that distance/route before then carry on.

If it's a stretch or you're not sure where you're going then wait until lockdown is over.

You need to be pretty self sufficient too - so factor that in. If you can't change a tube or fix a chain then stay closer to home.

Some Euro countries are really strict - we have it easy in England anyway. I think NI is tighter ?

Annoyingly Wales is close to me but I don't think it's right to ride into a different country at the mo.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I cycled a 16 mile loop today but I was always within a 5 mile radius of my home.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There's an article on BBC news tonight about it.

Just use your common sense. If you've done that distance/route before then carry on.

If it's a stretch or you're not sure where you're going then wait until lockdown is over.

You need to be pretty self sufficient too - so factor that in. If you can't change a tube or fix a chain then stay closer to home.

Some Euro countries are really strict - we have it easy in England anyway. I think NI is tighter ?

Annoyingly Wales is close to me but I don't think it's right to ride into a different country at the mo.

If you are in England you shouldn't be coming over the border into Wales. Travel into Wales should only be done for certain reasons and cycling isn't one of them

Top Bottom