Staying local

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beespoke

23yrs of tying hubs & rims together
People just need to be a little more imaginative with their rides 🤪🤪🤪

So how many miles can you cover in your local town, without going down the same piece of road in the same direction more than once, and also avoiding u-turns down dead end roads...

Give it a go without any preplanning... It's a little like chess on a bike where you're thinking several roads and junctions ahead... can be done on any bike, plus because your around town with streetlights, can also be done at night to mix it up.
IMG_0555.JPG

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Aiui the rules for cycling as exercise in Wales changed at the end of last month - NB this is not 'travel' it's exercise.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/n...lsh-Cycling-Coronavirus---Covid-19-Guidance-0
Key point is that rides must start and finish from home. And then your exercise ride will be within restrictions on both sides of the border. Pretty sure that riding to work across the border is an allowed exemption as well. What is all the traffic on the Severn Bridge doing? Are all those 'travellers' breaking one rule or other?
Last time I rode into Wales I started and finished from home, riding to Brecon and Hay-on-Wye. Wasn't local mind and would definitely not satisfy the 'common sense' test November to March.

The rules keep changing every minutes to be honest. People in Wales have been getting a tad angry at people coming over the border. Tempers are frayed

Cycling_Samurai

People just need to be a little more imaginative with their rides 🤪🤪🤪

So how many miles can you cover in your local town, without going down the same piece of road in the same direction more than once, and also avoiding u-turns down dead end roads...

Give it a go without any preplanning... It's a little like chess on a bike where you're thinking several roads and junctions ahead... can be done on any bike, plus because your around town with streetlights, can also be done at night to mix it up.
View attachment 574488
You're really keeping local.

winjim

Smash the cistern
How much exercise do you actually need?

Cycling_Samurai

Oh I do secretly venture over the town boundaries occasionally, but rides like that are to show that the miles can still be ticked off really close to home.
😎
Actually looking at your route again, I've not gotten into doing dead end rides like that. I'm on doing continuous rides that minimize going over the same route. But being out and back it's unavoidable. Unless it's circle island. Which I'm prepping to attempt again in the summer.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Every day and often.😛🚴‍♂️😱
No you don't. The OP is asking whether they can cycle 50miles and 'stay local', presumably referring to the covid lockdown guidance. Cycling 50miles in any direction, at any distance from your home is incompatible with covid lockdown guidance.

Edit: incompatible with the spirit of covid lockdown guidance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom