Staying local

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but what does ‘staying local’ mean?
Can I cycle 50 miles in a loop but not in a straight line (cause then I’d be 50 miles away from my house!)

Please advise

Cycle from your house.
Cycle by yourself
Be self sufficient
Take extra care to ensure you stay upright and return home in one piece

The key is riding to / from home, keeping your distance from others, keeping yourself to yourself, riding well within your capabilities and to conditions, being self sufficient for food, drink and mechanicals, and enjoying the fresh air. Hope you enjoy your 50 mile loop.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
What an arse.
You're asking for advice on how to bend or break lockdown rules, be that law or guidance. By all means get out and exercise, you need to maintain physical and mental health, but you don't need to ride 50 miles. You're surviving a pandemic, not training for the Tour de France.

But if you do choose to bend or break the rules, just use your head and apply Wheaton's law.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you're commuting as your username suggests, why not just extend your morning and evening commutes a little within reason?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Nice. Which climb do you prefer from there? Or do you just turn round and ride back to Shrewsbury??
My usual routine is to ride out, do a couple of laps of the lake with a cafe stop then head back. That gives me at least an imperial century if I take the shortest route there. I have ventured over the climbs and they are both spectacular. I'd say Bwlch y Groes for the challenge and Cwm Hirnant for the epic scenery.
Blue skies in Wales. This is fake news and should be taken down
:laugh: It does happen sometimes. That pic was from a fantastic ride in summer 2018.

OP
OP
C

CentralCommuter

You're asking for advice on how to bend or break lockdown rules, be that law or guidance. By all means get out and exercise, you need to maintain physical and mental health, but you don't need to ride 50 miles. You're surviving a pandemic, not training for the Tour de France.

But if you do choose to bend or break the rules, just use your head and apply Wheaton's law.

Actually, having never been on my bike for ages, I was asking a genuine question as to what people are doing. I haven’t spent a great deal of time on the forum, hence I was not up to speed with the various threads there seems to have been. I just asked a question, but obviously I deserved to be spoken to in the tone I was because I am so stupid as to start a thread about cycling during a lockdown on a forum about cycling (during a lockdown). Silly me, I now see that Drago is in fact free to start inane threads at the drop of a hat, but is intolerant when other people ask genuine questions.

I apologise to anybody offended by my stupidity or my insulting language (except to Drago, obviously).

winjim

Smash the cistern
Actually, having never been on my bike for ages, I was asking a genuine question as to what people are doing. I haven’t spent a great deal of time on the forum, hence I was not up to speed with the various threads there seems to have been. I just asked a question, but obviously I deserved to be spoken to in the tone I was because I am so stupid as to start a thread about cycling during a lockdown on a forum about cycling (during a lockdown). Silly me, I now see that Drago is in fact free to start inane threads at the drop of a hat, but is intolerant when other people ask genuine questions.

I apologise to anybody offended by my stupidity or my insulting language (except to Drago, obviously).
Drago's big enough and ugly enough to answer for himself and will most likely give answers based on the law, rather than the guidance. But. The guidance is to stay at home, except for a few limited exceptions. You are allowed to cycle for exercise. You are not allowed to cycle for recreation or for leisure. I would not consider a 50 miler purely exercise. So you can't bend it to fit into the lockdown guidance, it just won't go. So Drago's right, you're a grown adult, use your head.

Wheaton's law, as in many situations, applies here.

CyclePikel

I do a loop of 10/15/20 miles depending on the weather and how I feel several times a week. It's mainly on lanes round the outside of my town so I'm always less than 6 miles from home.

The Macc map is great! Macc is hilly. Last time we were there we got lost and made about 10 circuits of a park. Words were spoken.

The famous Patak curry sauce advert was made there, when the man remembers taking his mother's sauces to neighbours in his street as a boy.
When I told the Mister this he said 'Oh yeah, we went up and down there a couple of times looking for the way home!'

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member

If it's any help myself and virtually everyone I know has continued to ride exactly as they have always done. The only exception being people are either riding solo, in pairs or groups no larger than six all depending on the current guidance.

My view would be one man's exercise is another's amble round the block. A bike ride for me is a minimum of 50 miles and I see no reason to change this level of exercise. It's the level my body is used to, three times a week, and so is the appropriate amount of exercise to keep me physically and mentally fit.

Do as you have always done. You are no more likely to encounter difficulties today than you were before any of us had heard of Covid-19. Don't stress about it, cycle and enjoy.

Thing is that exercise depends on your fitness level

Chris Froome's idea of a short training ride is rather different than my idea on my ebike being based on old(ish) over weight
But I ride most days - use low assist on the motor has a positive effect on my fitness and my asthma - so I regard it as essential
and I know that I could do 30-40 miles - and was planning to do so last year but backed off due to virus stuff

so I keep it to going up to the next bridge on the Mersey and then home - max 7=8 miles from home if necessary
so I could push the bike home if I needed to
did 6 once - don't want to do it again but I could - I suppose - not really the distance that is a problem just the eye rolling when I get home!!!!!

Brooks

If you want to ride your bike go ride mate, don't give up your freedoms as you'll never get them back. My only advice would be prepare for any breakdowns and do your homework on routes and factor in how you get home if you do have a mechanical. Good luck.

My usual routine is to ride out, do a couple of laps of the lake with a cafe stop then head back. That gives me at least an imperial century if I take the shortest route there. I have ventured over the climbs and they are both spectacular. I'd say Bwlch y Groes for the challenge and Cwm Hirnant for the epic scenery.

<sunshine>
:laugh: It does happen sometimes. That pic was from a fantastic ride in summer 2018.
Nice: I think Cwm Hirnant is under-rated. I mean, OK, ByG is pretty quiet, but Hirnant is like the land that time forgot. And the descent down to the lake is rather lovely too.
(I wouldn't know about it without Mark RIgby's audax event) The climb to ByG with all the chevrons up from Dinas Mawdwy (sp??) is the hardest thing I've ever done (outside of England, anyway ;-) )

Must be the best thing about living in Shrewsbury!

I will dig out some pics of sun in Wales. I've done ok on rides there (apart from the ones where I froze to death).

Top Bottom