Staying local

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling_Samurai

No you don't. The OP is asking whether they can cycle 50miles and 'stay local', presumably referring to the covid lockdown guidance. Cycling 50miles in any direction, at any distance from your home is incompatible with covid lockdown guidance.

Edit: incompatible with the spirit of covid lockdown guidance.
I prefer to use an ancient ancestral method of common sense. So I go how far I am physically able & ready to go.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
fixation with a war that happened over a 100 years ago
FTFY
I would not consider a 50 miler purely exercise.
What would you call a 50 miler then besides "exercise": masochism? If that's too far for you, design a shorter route. Quantifying what's a 'common sense' ride (from home) for someone else is nugatory, imo. See the 60 page thread for more nuance.

Last edited:

Cycling_Samurai

50 miles is less than 3 and half hours for me. I rather enjoy it. Hardest part is when it ends. 70 plus mile rides are like mini vacations. You shut everything out and enjoy the environment, cycling, and physical exertion. It's really an adventure.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I prefer to use an ancient ancestral method of common sense. So I go how far I am physically able & ready to go.
Fine but don't try and pretend you're adhering to lockdown guidance.

What would you call a 50 miler then besides "exercise": masochism? If that's too far for you, design a shorter route. Quantifying what's a 'common sense' ride (from home) for someone else is nugatory, imo. See the 60 page thread for more nuance.
I would say a 50 miler is more of a leisure ride than purely exercise. Not saying it's too far for me personally but that it's unnecessary for anyone right now. But there's no hard enforceable border between exercise and leisure I suppose. Use your head.

We're not supposed to be leaving home except for specific and limited reasons. If you're violating lockdown then you're violating lockdown. I think many people are doing it, and a lot of the time it's probably fine, but it is a violation.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I would say a 50 miler is more of a leisure ride than purely exercise. Not saying it's too far for me personally but that it's unnecessary for anyone right now. But there's no hard enforceable border between exercise and leisure I suppose. Use your head.
We're not supposed to be leaving home except for specific and limited reasons. If you're violating lockdown then you're violating lockdown.
"It's unnecessary for anyone right now." As is trying to impose your suppositions on others: what is gained? Use your common sense (qv).
ETA:

View: https://youtu.be/BiqDZlAZygU

"If you're violating lockdown then you're violating lockdown."
If you're not violating lockdown (by leaving home to exercise) then you're not violating lockdown. Worth, during the exercise of common sense, to just bear in mind the purpose of the restrictions and the exemptions thereto, and the extent to which a longer or shorter (but local) ride in the wonderful open air makes a difference.
Guidance: National lockdown: Stay at Home
"You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:
  • exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person (in which case you should stay 2m apart). Exercise should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
We've done this to death on the other thread but the 'travel' bit in the exemption above is for people who want to drive somewhere to then exercise and does not relate to the exercise itself (and wasn't designed to imo). This week's CTC guidance drawing on a Government minister's common sense response is here. Key:

"People’s circumstances are different and so this guidance relies on people to use their common sense to determine what is and is not a reasonable distance for their outdoor exercise."

Nigel Huddleston, Minister for Sport (DCMS)

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
"It's unnecessary for anyone right now." As is trying to impose your suppositions on others: what is gained? Use your common sense (qv).
"If you're violating lockdown then you're violating lockdown."
If you're not violating lockdown (by leaving home to exercise) then you're not violating lockdown. Worth, during the exercise of common sense, to just bear in mind the purpose of the restrictions and the exemptions thereto, and the extent to which a longer or shorter (but local) ride in the wonderful open air makes a difference.
Guidance: National lockdown: Stay at Home
"You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:
  • exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person (in which case you should stay 2m apart). Exercise should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
We've done this to death on the other thread but the 'travel' bit in the exemption above is for people who want to drive somewhere to then exercise and does not relate to the exercise itself (and wasn't designed to imo). This week's CTC guidance drawing on a Government minister's common sense response is here. Key:
A 50 miler is not necessary. And cycling is travelling. And my supposition is no less valid than your own.

winjim

Smash the cistern
FWIW I do think that the lockdown in general, including the legislation, guidance, messaging and enforcement has been handled abysmally by the government which makes it very difficult to discuss in this way and puts all the responsibility for interpretation onto the public. Use common sense might seem like good advice but common sense can be a fickle thing and does not necessarily lead to good decision making.

Ajax Bay

Guru
And my supposition is no less valid than your own.
Of course your supposition is valid. The difference is that I'm not trying to hector people to change their behaviour or limit their activity, whereas you are.
["It's unnecessary for anyone right now. If you're violating lockdown then you're violating lockdown. A 50 miler is not necessary."]
@matticus - you are such a calming influence. I hope you are getting out for a 'decent' ride.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Of course your supposition is valid. The difference is that I'm not trying to hector people to change their behaviour or limit their activity, whereas you are.
["It's unnecessary for anyone right now. If you're violating lockdown then you're violating lockdown. A 50 miler is not necessary."]
@matticus - you are such a calming influence. I hope you are getting out for a 'decent' ride.
We're in lockdown. We're supposed to be changing our behaviour and limiting our activity.

Nobody needs to do a 50 miler. You might want to and it might be safe to, but nobody needs to.

Top Bottom