Steady Helmet cams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trumpettom001

How do people have such steady cameras?? Watch Mag's or Gaz's vids, and it's like riding on brand new tarmac... is it just that my area of England is badly maintained, or is there some trick to it that we don't know about??

P.s. what camera does everyone use.. and what do people think of the contour HD - considering one for my commute...

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you have it on your head there is quite a lot of stabilisation there already compared to a bar mounted camera. However, there is post-processing which can improve it a bit.

I use a Tachyon Micro XC. It is very small and light, although evidently not light enough to prevent the h*lm*t tipping to the right when I did this trial run:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkZiTnxrvCU

Bear in mind that YouTube add their own compression to these clips.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I was quite flattered when a several of BROL members thought I was riding a trike in that cyclist nearly dies video clip. Before that I was confused that I'd missed a trike in the field of view.

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

Thomas... it's one of those teeny weeny spy cameras... it's got 0mm of play where attached to the helmet... I imagine that the helmet and ma head aren't as secure as they should be...

Aye, it's on my head, and my spine/neck does a good job of absorbing the worst of the VERY poor roads of Glasgow.

If you're looking for a camera, look below.....:becool:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Another one of the Healmet mounted brigade... much better at absorbing the worst the roads can throw at me than my bike frame/handlebars.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Trumpettom001 said:
How do people have such steady cameras?? Watch Mag's or Gaz's vids, and it's like riding on brand new tarmac... is it just that my area of England is badly maintained, or is there some trick to it that we don't know about??

P.s. what camera does everyone use.. and what do people think of the contour HD - considering one for my commute...
I use a contourHD and that has a specific helmet mount, as long as the straps are nice and tight that it sticks to the helmet well, and then the rest of your body acts as a damper. Obviously avoiding pot holes helps.

BentMikey said:
I was quite flattered when a several of BROL members thought I was riding a trike in that cyclist nearly dies video clip. Before that I was confused that I'd missed a trike in the field of view.
From watching your videos it's hard to see, and due to the way you balance when you stop (aka not taking your foot out of your pedal) then it looks like you are riding a trike.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The secret to smooth video is a robust mount. Sometimes this means making one yourself, or buying something specific. Straps need to be relatively secure and tight, and ideally the mount central on helmets if not on the bike itself.

I have one on my helmet [MUVI] and the torch camera on the handlebars.

The helmet cam is better because you can pick up all the naughty people.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
magnatom said:
Aye, it's on my head, and my spine/neck does a good job of absorbing the worst of the VERY poor roads of Glasgow.

If you're looking for a camera, look below.....:laugh:

Mags are you selling a camera ???

......................:laugh:;):laugh:

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

Ahh thanks Gaz - I was meaning to ask which camera you use, as I'm considering an upgrade come the summer.. I assume it's the 1080p version?

Top Bottom