steam trains (5" gauge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
went to the wimborne district railway club BBQ last night and got to fulfil a life long dream (albeit on a small scale) when Nigel kindly taught me how to drive his Edward look a like steamer.

What a tremendous experience :smile: they really are magnificent pieces of engineering and quite complicated to get the water/steam/fire balance right!!

7655207886_9e20fbfeab_n.jpg

OP
OP
MattHB

MattHB

Proud Daddy
[QUOTE 1953341, member: 45"]Great, isn't it? I don't own one myself but am part of a group who run a fair few locos, including a couple of Kings, Manors, a 2P, and a few panniers, and I often get to run them.

The level of engineering is very impressive. It would be nice to have the money and the time to have one of my own, but they're a bottomless pit financially.[/quote]

yeah Im going to have to wait until the kids have left home I think! and seeing as the other half is only 13 weeks pregnant that might be a little while! :biggrin:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That is expensive, but it is well worth the experience, and your money goes to the upkeep of the locos as well as accommodation etc.

Oh and don't think it is a museum, the are real working steam locos and you will get to drive commuter trains etc.

Shaun

Founder
[QUOTE 1953341, member: 45"]The level of engineering is very impressive. It would be nice to have the money and the time to have one of my own, but they're a bottomless pit financially.[/quote]

I imagine they are quite an expensive pasttime - but what sort of money are we talking?

OP
OP
MattHB

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I imagine they are quite an expensive pasttime - but what sort of money are we talking?

the one in the picture was bought by its owner for £1500 not running. It needed a new boiler. They can run up to and over £10,000 though!!

The old boys that tend to run them are all retired engineers, so have sheds and garages full of gear. They make almost everything from scratch for these things besides valves and precision things like that. Awesome guys they are :smile:

Night Train

Maker of Things
The thing is, aside from the cost of the locomotive there is also the track and space to place it all. Couldn't really run one in a 2 bed terrace house with a small garden.

This is why I have a tractor, costs less and doesn't need infrastructure to play with it.:thumbsup:

I'd love a traction engine crane though.
DSC02048.JPG

OP
OP
MattHB

MattHB

Proud Daddy
my father in law has a 2 bed bungalow with a 5inch gauge track all the way around it :smile: we also belong to wimborne district society of model engineers (where the pic was taken) so we run our train (a small electric) down there. Id love a steamer.. Ill wait around for one of the older ones to become available at the club :smile: can pick up some bargains that way.. although that bargain will still be in 4 figures!

Shaun

Founder
And we all thought cycling was an expensive hobby! :whistle:

Cost aside, I bet they give a good deal of satisfaction to those maintaining them and are great fun to ride!! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom