Steel Cyclocross frame, what should I do with it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scook94

Veteran
Thinking of swapping the frame on my bike for something lighter (titanium) that is actually the right size for me (had a bike fitting done and apparently, although I suspected all along, it's a size too small).

Question is, what should I do with the old one? Is it likely to be worth selling? How much would it likely raise?

TIA.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
size, make, model, colour, condition, dropout type and size, headset threaded or not etc?

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
MacB said:
size, make, model, colour, condition, dropout type and size, headset threaded or not etc?

It's from a Genesis Croix de Fer, excellent condition really (bought last March), except it's missing an eyelet for mudguards on the cassette side (never had it!). It's a 54cm frame. Picture of complete bike here --> Click Me

I should point out that it's likely to be mid March at the earliest before I'd be done with it.

Rockus

Great bike IMO, was gonna get one, but just couldnt justify yet another bike. Would make an excellent commuter for someone if you felt like selling it.

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
Rockus said:
Great bike IMO, was gonna get one, but just couldnt justify yet another bike. Would make an excellent commuter for someone if you felt like selling it.

Would only be getting rid of the frame and possibly the shifters/dérailleurs.

Just trying to find out if it's worth the bother really. Otherwise I'll donate/freecycle them.

ACS

Legendary Member
Scook

Where did you get or bike fit done? Was it worth it and can I be cheeky and ask about cost. need help to sort my position out, my left knee is a bit dodgy and can be a bit niggly at times.

Cheers

Andy

Rockus

scook94 said:
Not sure that's quite the case, but I won't argue.

+1

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd be a bit suspect about someone saying it's too small.

You can change the stem for reach, get a longer seat post if needed, but 2cm..... ?

If the guy has measured you for a road position, then a cross bike will need a slightly different set up if doing cross.

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
fossyant said:

You can change the stem for reach, get a longer seat post if needed, but 2cm..... ?

If the guy has measured you for a road position, then a cross bike will need a slightly different set up if doing cross.

I got measured specifically for a cross bike (that's all the person knew when he did it), after all the measurements were taken and put into the computer it came back that for the geometry of the frame I had it should have been 555mm, not the 540mm I have. I got the fitting done as I felt the frame was too small and I hadn't quite got the set-up correct.

The place that I got it done had no clue what I was riding other than it was a cross bike, I had bought nothing from them in the past and they knew the fitting was for an existing bike and they did not try and sell me new one.

I have since adjusted the saddle height and added a longer stem and never had such a comfortable ride (there is a post of mine somewhere about knee pain, all gone now!).

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
satans budgie said:
Scook

Where did you get or bike fit done? Was it worth it and can I be cheeky and ask about cost. need help to sort my position out, my left knee is a bit dodgy and can be a bit niggly at times.

Cheers

Andy

Andy, I went to the Tri Centre in Edinburgh, South Clerk Street, cost £35 and was a great investment. Very quickly and easily done.

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
fossyant said:

Yup, I took the advice given and went to my local LBS, trusting that they knew what they were doing, seems they didn't (I know I didn't as I hadn't owned a bike in over 20 years at the time). Thankfully, thanks to you guys I'm far more knowledgeable than I was then.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I do want one, and i nearly bought one last week!

My cross bike is the same as my roadbike. Two schools of thought with sizing of Cross bikes, one says, a size smaller, the other says the same as a roadbike.
I would say that if your bike is 2cm(the width of your thumb!) too small, then this is easily fixable by adding a longer stem (maybe only 10mm) and using a seatpost with a slight layback/offset clamp.
There is a lot of babble spoke about sizing

Does the bike feel wrong to you? Thats always my first question when it comes to folk being told the bike they have is the wrong size.....

Top Bottom