steel frame bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I went towards the Spa and the Kona as each comes with (will be fitted with on request in the case of the Spa) bar end shifters.

I think Swinnertons might do that too, having a proper shop and a good reputation for service.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
LHT almost level top tube though which might bother some - it does me but personal preference.

Personally I think combining drop bars with a sloping top tube mens frame is just wrong.:headshake:

My tolerance for sloping top tubes is limited solely to flat bar hybrids and MTB's - and even then only if the amount of slope is no more than a few degrees. I would not give shed room to any drop bar road racing/touring frame whose top tube was anything but perfectly level. xx(

:smile:

ah well you are even more of a traditionalist than me skipdiver.

Tis true I am a flat bar person.

My preference for sloping is practical rather than aesthetic.

All personal of course but I think it is a factor the OP should give some thought to - and then decide whatever or even decide that it is irrelevant.

ride on skipdiver, all the best

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Personally I think combining drop bars with a sloping top tube mens frame is just wrong.:headshake:

My tolerance for sloping top tubes is limited solely to flat bar hybrids and MTB's - and even then only if the amount of slope is no more than a few degrees. I would not give shed room to any drop bar road racing/touring frame whose top tube was anything but perfectly level. xx(
you dont fancy a go on this when ive finished it then ?
32329849057_661d2bd6ed_z.jpg
[

View attachment 455833 [
well it certainly doesn't fit with what the OP is looking for.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
View attachment 455833 [

No, I'll pass up on your kind offer thanks!
To me that's wrong on so many levels; oversized tubes, rear stays not joining the main triangle at the seatpost clamp, too much seatpost sticking out, bars way too low. The only thing I do like if I'm honest is the fact you've got rim brakes not discs - as I don't like discs either!

Essentially, pretty much anything that might be found built into or fitted to a modern bike, I wouldn't have on any of mine. Since steel frames don't wear out, no need to ever buy a new bike, all I need to do is carry on riding old steel frames and just replace any worn mechanicals.

too much seatpost sticking out, .

On topic with bygonera's initial post, a certain amount of exposed seatpost can be handy on a bike used for loaded touring skipdiver.

Especially if you pack (some would say overpack) like me with dry bags/tents/kitchen sinks on top of the rack - gives the whole motley collection something to rest/cuddle up against and helps with bungeeing. A short exposed seat-tube could cause problems - the whole load of junk could be trying to shove your arse forward off the saddle.

all the best

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
On topic with bygonera's initial post, a certain amount of exposed seatpost can be handy on a bike used for loaded touring skipdiver.

No doubt you are right about that, but the most I ever carry on a rear rack is a few items of shopping placed inside a plastic greengrocer's produce basket held on with cable ties. Sometimes I might have a small Lidl cycling rucksack on my back instead, but that's as much load as I carry by bike. I just much prefer the appearance of full-size classic steel frames with horizontal top tubes and only a minimum amount of seatpost out. When I see 8 or 9 inches or more of seatpost on view, I'm inclined to think the owner should have got a bigger frame!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No doubt you are right about that, but the most I ever carry on a rear rack is a few items of shopping placed inside a plastic greengrocer's produce basket held on with cable ties. Sometimes I might have a small Lidl cycling rucksack on my back instead, but that's as much load as I carry by bike. I just much prefer the appearance of full-size classic steel frames with horizontal top tubes and only a minimum amount of seatpost out. When I see 8 or 9 inches or more of seatpost on view, I'm inclined to think the owner should have got a bigger frame!

So you wouldn't be a fan of this then John.

DSCN0207.JPG

BTW that seatpost doesn't go any lower, I had it custom made.

Top Bottom