steel frame bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I did know that, Colin who designs Spa's bikes is a regular on CUK. IIRC it's only the Audax that's limited to 32c, everything else including the Elan will take at least 35c.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Surly LHT is the default option these days. Not much to criticise about one, except maybe that the option of 26" to 700c wheels may give average-sized riders a quandary (the changeover point is right in the middle of the size range), and a Tubus Tara front rack doesn't fit quite horizontally.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So you wouldn't be a fan of this then John.

View attachment 455877 .

Not really my sort of MTB I'm afraid @raleighnut. Old-school ones that look like roadster frames on steroids are more my cup of tea. I've actually got an old bare Saracen frame kicking about that I found sitting on top of a bin, which I've since identified as a 1997 Fastrax. Bit small for me but I'll hang on to it as it could be used as a loaner-outer and it's a Tange butted cro-moly job, not gas pipe like the small Apollo frame I had previously earmarked for the same purpose. There's a load of old Saracen catalogues archived on the Retrobike forum if you look for them, useful for dating build features. I used them to identify mine, and it wasn't what another CC member thought it was although the colour was the same as theirs.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That one was actually a present, I spent a few hundred pounds changing the Crank, Pedals, Mechs, Shifters, Handlebars, Stem and having a custom Seatpost manufactured, it's great in snow.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I spent a few hundred pounds changing the Crank, Pedals, Mechs, Shifters, Handlebars, Stem and having a custom Seatpost manufactured.

My approach is different to yours, although I appreciate most of yours were frame-up builds, whereas most of mine were bought complete. I tend to change as little as possible on mine so long as parts are serviceable, apart from the pub bike Pioneer which was cobbled together around a bare frame using various old donors.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My approach is different to yours, although I appreciate most of yours were frame-up builds, whereas most of mine were bought complete. I tend to change as little as possible on mine so long as parts are serviceable, apart from the pub bike Pioneer which was cobbled together around a bare frame using various old donors.
No that was a complete brand new bike, I just replaced all the naff bits that Saracen had fitted with higher quality components, gave away a lot of the bits I'd removed.

CXRAndy

Guru
Boardman ASR 8.9. You will need to upgrade groupset to triple,. Fairlight do steel frame bikes aswell

My Kinesis Tripster ATR V2 is Titanium frame. I run a triple crankset and huge mtb cass with di2 . It can take 40mm tyres and all the eyelets for racks and mudguards.

Pegasus00

Regular
Is this frame geometry suitable for mtb use? I have the same bike, and all kinds of parts, that I would like to build mtb for my own use. With Alivio 3x8 groupset and so on. Frame hi teen steel, is it too bad?

Attachments

• f20130605115330-transport-bycycles-mountain-1-1.800.jpg
    f20130605115330-transport-bycycles-mountain-1-1.800.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom