Steep Hill - Cyclists Dismount

Walk or ride

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willd

Veteran
1643198424070.png

Came across one of these recently, didn't get a picture, as I was going too fast :tongue: & it's not on Streetview. Hill is marked as 12%, so not mega-steep, but does have a bit of a kink it it.

Does anyone dismount? I didn't, as there has to be some benefit to crawling up the other side. I check the brakes before each ride and didn't go that fast in any case, as I'm always wary of numpties in cars, with dogs etc. etc. Road didn't have a footpath and I'd reckon walking down the hill in shoes with road cleats would be more dangerous :rolleyes:

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Hmm. Something not quite right. :laugh:

1643200257448.png

si_c

Guru
Does anyone dismount? I didn't, as there has to be some benefit to crawling up the other side. I check the brakes before each ride and didn't go that fast in any case, as I'm always wary of numpties in cars, with dogs etc. etc. Road didn't have at a footpath and I'd reckon walking down the hill in shoes with road cleats would be more dangerous :rolleyes:
I wouldn't as the sign is only advisory, also I'm a contrarian like that. Unless it was a very steep, very narrow road I'd probably just ride it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't tend to dismount on steep descents but I found one in this area which made me wish that I had done... On my skinny-tyred road bike going down a 15% ramp, round a bend after which the road got steeper - closer to 20%. And the tarmac became cobbles. BIG cobbles. Big broken-up cobbles with gaps between them, and protuding edges. And covered in gravel. And moss. And wet leaf mulch... :eek:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No but I will dismount for level crossings after one took me a few years back on a wet dark night . Therefore if there’s a level crossing halfway down a steep hill then yes.

Top Bottom