Steep Hill - Cyclists Dismount

Walk or ride

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I think you mean you bunny hop level crossings on steep hills.

That would be difficult on a recumbent 😂

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
tenor.gif

alchurch

Thinking of honister pass. You have to brake early after going over the top because your speed really builds up fast

Alex321

Veteran
I've also voted for both because it all depends.

If it is just a simple steep hill, all on reasonable tarmac without much in the way of blind bends, then I'm sure I would ride it. But if it is very twisty, or also has a loose surface, or is icy, I would probably walk.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I posted a similar picture some time ago of one north west of Glasgow but cannot find it just now.
Coming down Mam Ratagan with a loaded bike my front brake blocks started to smoke and I thought it prudent to stop to let them cool off. On another occasion coming down into Drumnadrochit the heat generated melted a patch from my front tube.
When these signs were put up brakes were probably not as efficient as nowadays.

I'd make my own decision call and ride it 99.99999% of the time. If it was narrow, poorly surfaced, busy (with pedestrians) or fast traffic, the weather was cr@p and I was worn out after 100miles + I might make a judgement call myself and dismount but not because any sign tells me.

I stay at it if I can. I only hop off if I just don't have the strength or wind or fear a heart attack, hehe. I have a nemesis hill in the forest near me. my goal is always to climb it w/o stopping. this requires my getting up out of the saddle for a cpl sections. there's a pushup station at the top. sometimes I do the hill then the pushups. I once did it 3 times. I guess these are called hill-repeats? I kept a record in case I ever couldn't do it again. 1st 2 climbs were back to back near sunset. after the 2nd climb I went around the park & it got dark for the 3rd climb. I have yet to do a "3-fer" again. one of the last times I attempted the hill I had to stop 1/2 way to settle my breath (heart rate?) I need to get out there more. if you're bored, or need a 10 minute sleep aid:

View: https://youtu.be/Hzt-pWM2dKU

Last edited:
I've never seen one on the road, but offoad I've seen a couple.

This is on the High Peak Trail which has 2 inclines (use to have wagons pulled up by a pump house), they are a little rough in places but I have descended (and ascended!) them both. A better MTB rider than me could probably go quite fast but they are mixed use and just straight lines so probably not worth it.

Top-of-Sheep-Pasture-Incline.jpg

Top Bottom